Tinkerbelle

How do you get a pilot's lisence with one eye?

Say, all you people with one eye and pilot's lisences, how on Earth did you pass the flight physical?
I don't remember if it was just my no sight in one eye or the limited, uncorrectable sight in the other that prevented me from passing my flight physical, and I went to the most liberal of all medics who passed all the Alaskan pilots, no matter what, but he said I was just too blind to allow to slide by.
Can you really get a flight physical with one eye?
Do you have to have full sight in the other to compensate?
Tink ;) (that's the one eye face... I can make that kind of joke without being un PC 'cause that is me too)
Rehab is for quitters.

I happen to have both eyes functioning, so I can't speak from personal experience. I am a private pilot, however. Our pilot at Bay Area Skydiving (Byron, CA) only has one functioning eye and I have spoken with him about that. Basically, you will not pass a regular FAA physical exam. You need to schedule a ride with an FAA person that will test you (thoroughly) on your eyesight to make sure that it is good enough to pass flight standards. Assuming you pass, you will get a "Statement of Demonstrated Ability" from them. Then, you can use that to go to your regular medical exam and it is like a free pass for the vision portion of the regular test.

Or, at least, I think that's how it works!

--Q

PS: Try AOPA if you need help. They have folks who can help you through the whole process.

PPS: From the AME (medical examiners) guide:
http://www.faa.gov/avr/aam/Game/Version_2/03amemanual/WEB/Chapter%203/3.23-24.htm

PPPS: http://www.aviationmedicine.com/eyes.htm
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

you need to take a FAA physical from a approved FAA doctor. You can get a list of Dr's from the FAA or call and ask around at you local FBO . Here in Texas most of the Doctors are charging 85 bucks for a 3rd class medical, but one local doctor only charges 35 bucks. In my case I'm deaf and a left arm amputee. I could not get a medical due to those to reasons. you can then request a wavier from the FAR's [Federal Aviation Regulations] I don't have the book here, but its some where in part 61 or 63 I beilive, your failed medical will be sent to FAA in OKC for review. they then have the local FAA FSDO [Flight StandardsDistrict Office] either issue you a medical or SODA [Statement of Demostrated Ability] or both. once you get these you just present them to FAA dr on your next visit to renew your medical and they'll isue it on the spot. also FAA areomedical in OKC OK can be SLOW sometimes. I rember waiting like 3 or 4 months for them to review my medical case way back in 1980... they might be better today. my Medical was issued with restrictions. not valid for flying where radio use is required (due my being deaf) and must wear artfical limb (because I was a left arm amputee I later took a special flight test with the FAA showed them I could fly safely w/o my prothesis limb and thet them issued me the SODA certficate to fly without prothesis limb. Mike Boland

Tink,
my buddy at the FAA once showed me a list of all the things FAA can wavier and acceptable accodmations for deaf pilots, one eye, wheel chairs pilots, amputee pilots..etc, etc. I couldn't beilive all the stuff they had on the list. I was surprised!
try calling Marty Conroy at the FAA Portland OR FSDO [Flight Standards District Office] He used to skydive for many years, and he's quite aware of disabled skydivers, pilots etc he'll help you find the rules.

he'll be glad to help you.

Tink, I lost sight in my right eye in vietnam. Had a first class physical. took me a year dealing with the faa to get a waiver( demonstrated ability). The waiver exempts being tested on sight on that eye. sight in other has to meet vison requirements for class sought. doc should know the requirements.you can call okc faa doc and go over your needs.
I flew for alaska international air and era aviation during the 70's out of fairbanks. back then, we could drink and fly and not worry. it was alaska after all.