GentleTiger

crapped out protecting knee with missing ACL

Well, I've learned a very painful lesson trying to protect my knee with the missing ACL.

Wind changed on final, I was too low to turn, got nervous landing crosswind, flared too high and released a bit. Canopy lunged forward, and slammed me into the ground.

To protect my knee, I did my usual butt-slide. Now I have 3 compression fractures in my spine and may have to have surgery. Will be seeing neurosurgeon this week...going to ask him if I can do tandems. asap. :P

Gotta learn PLF bigtime now...I've learned the hard way about butt-slides. Everyone warned me, but I'd chicken out at the last minute and slide on in...I guess I was lucky, but I thought at the time it was a good solution to protect my knee.

My instructors at Mile Hi got together and are brainstorming on how to retrain my muscle memory so PLFs will be the natural thing to do.

I gotta tell ya...Mile Hi Skydiving in Longmont CO is the best. My JMs have had the patience of saints, and they really know their stuff. And most of all, safety is their first concern. Always getting new equipment, keeping the planes in top condition, JMs with 10000+ jumps, canopy control classes monthly...I love this DZ and will be back as soon as I'm able. Hopefully I can sneak in a tandem...gotta get my freefall fix, otherwise I'm gonna get cranky! ;)

So, I guess the lesson here for all you sweet folks doing butt-slides...DON'T. Take the time to master PLFs! Learning the hard way really really sucks.B|

Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear about that. That has always been my biggest fear with the butt slide idea. I hope you aren't out for too long and again I'm really sorry to hear about your bad news.

On the other thread you started a physical therapist who skydives had joined in and I bet they could be a lot of help with ideas on rehab. The greatest thing I discovered this last injury was plyometric exercises. They are just wonderful at getting your muscles more adept at agility. First you work on range of motion, then strength, and then move to the plyometrics. My last visit with her she gave me a maintenance program I will be doing for the rest of my life. It would be really helpful to get some advice from a physical therapist who skydives. Maybe you could go back to your last thread and send them some questions.

Again sorry to hear about your woes and trust me those PLF's come pretty easy after all the practice from the plyo exercises.

Hope you are back in the air soon,
DS

So, I guess the lesson here for all you sweet folks doing butt-slides...DON'T. Take the time to master PLFs! Learning the hard way really really sucks.

Good luck getting anyone to listen (see my post in the other ACL thread in this forum and note how well received it was:S).

Hope your back heals faster than mine did.

OUCH!!!

I also tore my ACL last Summer, had a new one put in and then tore it! I've been doing the ever so graceful butt slide landings but now you've got me rethinking that.

After 2 car accidents and the ACL surgery last year I can tell you that physical therapy is a great start but try to get to a massage therapist too! All of those muscles in your back/butt/legs/etc will be very pissed at you for that landing and you'll feel it! B|

I did the PT and it helped, I go to a chiropractor and that helps but the deep tissue massage is making all the difference in the world now! Oh, most insurance companies cover massages now too! I haven't paid for a single one and I go every week! ;)

Good luck & feel better soon!

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

Sorry, dude. May be you should hang up your canopy for a while. As much fun as skydiving is, it may not be worth doing with your injuries.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

Hey folks, finally out of the bed and back sitting at the ol' puter for a bit...thank god for meds and coffee!!! ;)

Ya, I'm hanging up the canopy, but only for the 3 months the doc says to and not one day longer, and I'm intent on learning to do PLF's that will protect all of me. I'm convinced that when there's a will, there's a way. :P

Can't wait to feel that freedom, that wind on my face, that pressure on my shins, that singular smile...

They don't call me Tiger for nothin B|

I don't know if this suggestions is any good, but....

How about landing your first 10-30 jumps with PLRs?

This is just a suggestion. On a canopy control cse we did, one of the instructors demoed PLRs. The landing he came in on was (of course) standupable, but he ended it in a roll.

Could be useful, in addition to lots of ground training.

Just my view from a non-instructor perspective.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Wow, great idea...I'll talk with my JMs about it and ask them to teach me...I figure the more skills I'm armed with, the better.

Your name is particularly amusing to me this morning. :P

Hey Tig,

Glad you are up and around and three months out will put you back in time for the best part of the season! That is something to be happy about.

Listen to your therapist and really look into those plyometric exercises. I swear by them. My doctor told me because of my age and my knee history ( I have lots of arthritis) that I shouldn't be skydiving. I went to a great therapist and worked hard and I'm back better than ever. Doctors don't know everything, but listen to what they tell you about how long to lay off. They usually have that right. You don't want to risk reinjury. Especially with all the problems you've been having.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Blues,
DS

Thanks DS, I console myself knowing that I've got the rest of my life to jump, and the rest of the summer too, so I'm not so grumpy about it anymore. ;) I'm really eager to learn the skills that it will take for me to jump safely, so my JMs (who are really wonderful) will have an attentive ear.

What exactly is plyometrics?

Regards,
Tiger

Pylometric exercises are repatative exercises that work at getting your muscles to react faster. They help with coordination. I started out on a trampoline jumping without taking my feet off the trampoline and then worked up to jumping on alternate legs and back and forth. Stuff like that. As you know anyone with ACL issues is usually very afraid to jump on anything, much less a trampoline. Then I worked up to jumping up to a four inch step and jumping off twenty times. Then I worked up to an 8 inch step and so on. My muscles had forgotten what is was to jump. I haven't done that since my first ACL injury in 95. My timing was off, my muscles didn't react fast enough. Now plyo exercises are part of my normal exercise routine. They have really done wonders for me and I thought they might be helpful to you.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Blue skies,
DS

Just had to pull this thread up and update it...

I HIGHLY reccommend Scott Miller's canopy control class!!

After ACL replacement surgery last year and partially tearing the new ACL :S I haven't been standing up ANY landings. I seriously thought I'd be doing butt slides & PLF's forever, or as long as my body could take it.

I took Scott's coure this weekend and stood up the very first jump! Sweet tip-toe landing, haven't had one that nice in a looong time! Even after the whole day of jumping my knee feels great, no pain at all! It was GREAT!! B|

FYI - I was jumping with my knee brace, I wouldn't jump without that on.

He travels constantly to different DZs so if you get the chance to take his course, go for it!!

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!