tetra316

Skydiving with hearing aids

I just take mine out. The DZ is noisy enough as it is.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I take my hearing aids off when I suit up, I have a special pocket sewn into inside if my jumpsuit. it's padded and I put them in there..
I don't need them when I suit up till after I land..
I wouldn't jump with on either.. my new digital hearings cost over $4,500 each. Lucky me. My insurance pays for them EVERY year. 90% of the cost. They used to pay a 100%...

Mike

i used to do the same thing with my implant.. i just modified my hurricane freefly helmet (cut out some foam) so that my implant will fit in there nice and snug. pretty cool. i'm hoping to be able to hear an audible nice and loud with it on. plus, now that i am doing crw, i want to be able to hear what the other person is saying, in case of an emergency or whatever.

Why do you need your hearings on in the jump plane? aircraft is very noisey, and why do you need them on in freefall?? nothing to hear but noise.. las and ?? L&B that danish company that makes the dytter makes a LED light that goes off when dytter sounds visual instead of audio ask John Woo he has one.. you place it in corner of your helmet where you can see it go off.. lot camera people are jumping with them now too.. as for hearing aids I suggest you have a zippered or Velcroed padded pocket sewn inside and place the hearing aids inside after your dirt dive and then put them back on after you land..

Mike

I used to take them out on the ground and put them back in after but its bothersome. Plus sometimes we go over jumps in the plane on the way up or change something. I'd rather be in on that. Plus I like being able to hear the wind rushing in freefall and the canopy when open. It makes it more real somehow being able to hear during the skydive rather than just having silence.

The last time I jumped with my hearing aid on (over the ear type) and without a helmet, my riser almost knocked it off on deployment. Would have sucked to watch a $900 hearing aid spiral to its death... :P

I really don't bother using my hearing aid at all on the jumps, no matter what I'm doing, RW, CRW, etc. If it's CRW, I make sure the group discusses signals before the jump and we review the emergency situations so we know what to do if something goes wrong.

I did, however, on a demo jump into a 86,000 seat stadium, pull my hearing aid out of a pocket and put it on after deploying my canopy just so I could hear the crowd when I came in for the landing. It was cool.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The last time I jumped with my hearing aid on (over the ear type) and without a helmet, my riser almost knocked it off on deployment. Would have sucked to watch a $900 hearing aid spiral to its death... :P

Don't drop it Billy
I really don't bother using my hearing aid at all on the jumps, no matter what I'm doing, RW, CRW, etc. If it's CRW, I make sure the group discusses signals before the jump and we review the emergency situations so we know what to do if something goes wrong.

I did, however, on a demo jump into a 86,000 seat stadium, pull my hearing aid out of a pocket and put it on after deploying my canopy just so I could hear the crowd when I came in for the landing. It was cool.

Blue Skies
Billy