franciscob

kidney transplant and skydiving

Hi
I recently joined this forum and I have a question.

I am kidney transplanted for 8 years now. I recently decided to resume skydiving which I didn't since the 80 !!;) My doctor gave me clearance saying he saw no problem on this practice, I am curious to know if someone out there is in my situation.. I live in Portugal and don't know anyone transplanted and skydiving... But the fact is we are not so many here.

best

francisco

My DZO (recently turned 40) had a kidney transplant (Jan 1 2002). He did a very few subterminal jumps about 8 months after the transplant (!!) wearing a gridle and experienced some short term discomfort. This past season he did a few more and now says he can do about 6 jumps in a week if they;re spread out with no real trouble. I will guess that after 8 years your new kidney is in better condition to jump but I'd take it very easy at first.

Dave T
Winnipeg, Canada

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Hi

I am a experienced skydiver and recently became a thrid kidney user. I had my transplant 2 year 3 month 13 days ago.

AS a confident jumper with a bunch of jumps I now find I am limited to 3-4 jumps a weekend. If I do more I cannot jump for a week or two. I wear an elastic back support to support my kidney from under neath and this helps. I tried a rigid girdle ...it sucked.

Not to discourage you but keep in mind that we loss calicum for our bones and get very brittle sooner than other people. Our extra kidney is not protected the way the natural kidneys are. A landing that most people might shrug off can cause great damage (kill us).

Make sure that your family knows you are accepting the risk.. You not not want your doctor or DZO in trouble because of your desire to skydive.

Hutch

Hi

I think you mention a few interest things that I would like to coment.

1. True. We have more problems than other people that we must pay attention to. But it's up to us and our doctor to assess our particular physical condition. My doctor clearance was the result of analysing my medical record and assess my present physical state. We can't assume that every transplanted people can or should skydive. There are "ifs" and certain particular conditions that should be met but they that can and must be considered by us together with our physician.

2. It's completelly true that caution must be present when practising certain sports. Although, if we think carefully there are oher sports much much more potentially dangerous for us (football, soccer, rugby, or even basketball that usually imply more or less violent physical contact). On the other hand what can the objective risk be, compared with other people, of getting seriously hurt? Will crashing after a low hook turn will have such diferent results on one and other case (bad vibes in both cases) Of course we've got more to loose (if we don't die!!) but thats' part of the risk of doing something we like, I think ;)

3. Chance of accidents can be dramatically reduced if we stick to our limits, avoid jumping with strong wind, and generally respect everything that we were taught by our instructors and keeps being repeated and every skdiving journal I read...

Just curious: what was your doctor advice about your resuming skydiving?
best (blue skyes...)

francisco