BillyVance

Deaf Skydiver tries solo cruise around the world

I just wanted to pass on the news that Charl de Villiers, a Deaf skydiver from south Texas, and native of South Africa, is embarking this weekend on a solo around the world cruise in a sailboat that he bought and overhauled the past 6 months or so. He is trying to be the first deaf person ever to sail around the world alone. He will have a satellite phone and will relay daily updates to his wife, who will post the updates to this web site - www.silentvoyager.com

Please wish him a safe voyage and happy return!

Blue Skies!
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I felt the need to post an update on Charl's voyage. He has made it to the Samoan Islands after leaving Texas, sailing through the Gulf of Mexico, Carribean Sea, through the Panama Canal and across much of the South Pacific. He has done very well under very adverse conditions. Now the bad news... he got into the harbor in Samoa very late at night, and being completely exhausted, asked some people along a dock if he could anchor there, and they said no problem. So he shuttered up the sailboat and locked himself in the cabin. The next morning he woke up to find that a compartment of the boat was broken into and his laptop, videocamera, navigation equipment and food were stolen, and other things damaged, while he slept. So nevertheless, he is in a real bad bind. The local police are on the case now, but for the time being, he's stuck in Samoa until he can replace the gear he needs to continue on his voyage and he needs your help. If you get on the www.silentvoyager.com website, there is a link to a site where you can make a donation to a paypal account, which has been set up by Charl's rugby club in Texas. If you have time, take a look through his daily logs and see what he has been through since setting sail on this history journey. It is quite interesting and entertaining.

Thanks and blue skies!
Billy

I just wanted to pass on the news that Charl de Villiers, a Deaf skydiver from south Texas, and native of South Africa, is embarking this weekend on a solo around the world cruise in a sailboat that he bought and overhauled the past 6 months or so. He is trying to be the first deaf person ever to sail around the world alone. He will have a satellite phone and will relay daily updates to his wife, who will post the updates to this web site - www.silentvoyager.com

Please wish him a safe voyage and happy return!

Blue Skies!
Billy

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Damn! >:( I am proud to say that i have jumped with Charl many, many times at Skydive San Marcos. I am going to the site to donate and i will pass this along to get it on the e-mail list for ssm so that others can help as well.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Thanks for the info, I have forwarded the update to EVERYONE in my email list and have already recieved replies with donation pledges! If we can just get everyone in our email lists to donate a couple of bucks, Charl (a wonderful human being) should be back to his historic quest!

Blues,
Conway

It's been a while, but the latest update on Charl's cruise, is that he is nearly back home!!!! Best guess is he will sail into his home port in Palacios, Texas (near Victoria), on or close to December 18, just a little over a week to go! He is currently sailing just south of Cuba, about to head into the Gulf of Mexico. Just a little over 1000 miles to go to home! Check out the web site www.silentvoyager.com. There is going to be a huge and emotional welcoming committee at the Serendipity Marina, complete with news crews and lots of Charl's friends. Get online and find out more if you want to participate.

What an unbelievable voyage so far!

Blue Skies
Billy

Billy,
Thanks for posting this information. I wondered how the cruise was going for Charl. I notice on one picture that Carl had to do some kind of repair work. It said to check out the log from 3/15 & 17. I found the journal page, but not those dates. Do you have a link.

I wish I could be there to welcom Charl home, but I won't be able to attend. Give him a hug from me, and tell him I think he looks great with the bread.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey