mollusc

Diabetes

Well somehting else that occoured to me, I am going to Rantoul this year for a week, I wonder if the organizers will have about 1 square inch of fridge space that I can borrow for my insulin. I'll be shacked up in tent city.

When you get to Rantoul, check in with Nurse Steve in Medical. If he doesn't have the fridge space, I'll find you some. Beth
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Hey all i have had diabetes for 17 years now and have been jumping for 10 years. I've never had a problem. Everyone knows i have diabetes so its not really a problem. My question is how does the pump work while in freefall.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com
don't sweat the small stuff, in fact don't sweat at all,, you get smelly!!

ORFUN #2

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a week and a half ago. Seems that I've had it for several years. i've been in the sport for 10 years and have never had a problem. When I found out about my diabetes, my blood sugar was at 500. I was prescribed some pills to lower my blood sugar and also got a glucose monitor. I've modified my diet and I'm working out daily and my blood sugar is getting back to the normal level. Well, some ups and downs as I'm still learning what's good and bad for me. Anyway, I can't wait to get to the DZ this weekend to see how, if at all jumping will affect my sugar levels.

, I can't wait to get to the DZ this weekend to see how, if at all jumping will affect my sugar levels.

although you have type 2 and you don't use insulin. keep in mind that you'd better be on the higher side than on the lower...
it may not be good for the long run but its safer than hitting 50 on the ride up...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

have been insulin dependent diabetic for 13 years, early on was told to remember that it is a "life sentence not a death sentance" meaning that it will be with me forever, but will not kill me...
remembering this i continued to climb surf etc, and have now been in this sport for the best part of two years, as a diabetic we can do/eat/have anything that everyone else can, we just have to make sure that it balences out right at the end of the day.

In reply to above quotes,
adrenalin tends to raise blood sugars as it is the bodies way of getting more energy to the areas that need it - but remember that it may continue to affect you for hours after the jump... but when this "unnatural" high runs out you may be left lower than you expected

alcohol tend to lower the blood sugars levels - again this can affect you for some time afterwards...

Hope this helps...

although you have type 2 and you don't use insulin. keep in mind that you'd better be on the higher side than on the lower...
it may not be good for the long run but its safer than hitting 50 on the ride up... ***

Well, it took several weekends for me to get back out to the dz. I took your advice and got my level up to about 140 before my 1st jump. I checked myself after I got down and packed and I was at 98. I repeated this for a few more jumps with similar results.

Now that I have my glucose levels down I really have to watch myself to keep from going low. Quite a difference from living with such high levels all the time! All in all I feel so much better now.

Thanks!

I know plenty of people with fridges if you need. I will most likely be at the tent run by Chicagoland skydiving center if you need to find me. I will also be dropping in at the dz.com tent quite often. Ask around for me, I will be there all week.

Heather
Life doesn't have to be perfect in order to be beautiful!

Most HMO's cover it fully with very few questions asked. I am a teacher and pay nothing but a monthly premium for it. It does depend on your insurance however.

Diabetes affects everyone differently. I have been grounded many days cause of bs levels. I rather have me and my friends see many more blue skies than make one stupid decision.

Heather
Life doesn't have to be perfect in order to be beautiful!

It was very strict in Finland until 2003. I tried to start skydiving at 2002 and they said no. 2003 when one Jumpmaster in Finland got diabetes they decided to change the rules. Now I decided to try again and did my 2 first static line jumps today. Great stuff! More tomorrow! ;)

Thats great. Just keep a watch it. I am lucdky in the fact that i normally know 30 minutes before hand if my sugar is going low. It shouldn't prevent you from doing anything. Old fashioned doctors want you to stay at home and count your carbs and then you will be ok. I scuba ski skydive do anything diabetes doesn't prevent me from doing anything

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Didn't know whether to start a new topic or steal this one ;)

I am travelling out to florida in november to zhills, everything sorted out with insurance, medical bills etc.

Only thing troubling me is my friend who has diabetes, has checked and her insulin is not covered if lost or damaged.

Could anyone give me a rough idea of the replacement cost if it gets lost or damaged.

She uses 100mg humalog isulin (eli lilly branded but not sure thats relevant).

BOOM Headshot

32 dollars a vile.... is she on lantis i believe thats 45 dollars.. If you get stuck pm me i can send you a bottle over night

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Sod the cost i have loads of spare pens just pay the postage and if your stuck pm me... its free for ya

i wouldn't risk jumping with something SO expensive (the insulin pump) on..... it may not become lost, but broken is much more probable.

as the far as the dr's note (for WFFC) it wouldn't hurt. diabetes certainly does not alter you psychologically so i doubt anyone would even bring it up. the thing to be careful about is drinking alcohol/sweating profusely to the point that your sugars are really low.

BEST OF LUCK!
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

Well I go see the flight doc in an attempt to get my 3rd class medical so that I can get my tandem rating.........it will more than likley be a pain in the ass since I wear a pump but not impossible.