Jumpmunki

ASL Vs BSL (and my trip to america)

i am currently learning as a hobby BSL, so i can chat to one of the guys at my local DZ who i get on with. he's helping me out with my freeflying.

i am traveling to sebastian in november and am wondering if there were any deaf jumpers at Sebastian (or any other the other dz's in florida)
and how BSL differs from ASL, or even if there are any BSL signers in florida

sorry if this is confusing.. i've confused myself ;)

I know of 6 deaf skydivers in England, and there are 2 new ones coming soon. The guy helping you with freeflying, would that be Alan Thompson?

I sure don't know of anyone who knows BSL in Florida, but there's a late-deafened lady who jumps at Skydive City and Lake Wales named Jane Chapman, but she only signs a little. The only other deaf skydiver in Florida jumps at Skydive Miami in Homestead, and he's been busy with his house, wife and baby lately.

Have a great trip to Florida! If you want to look Jane up, check the skydiver profiles at www.deafskydivers.org There should be an email address for her.

Blue Skies!
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah Alan Thompson's good friend of mine. He's pretty good flier eh?

I don't know how good your BSL skill is. BSL is different language to ASL. BSL and ASL have their own rules, grammars and sentences. BSL use two hands for alphabet. ASL use only one hand for alphabet. It's advantage for a pint of beer in right hand and you can do alphabet with your left hand at the same time! But it's hard for me to read ASL alphabet though. I think you'll struggle to understand ASL alphabet because it's so different to BSL that we used to.

Some ASL signs are similar to BSL's but it have different meaning. For example: ASL's "What?" is same sign for BSL's "Where?". Yeah I was confused when it come to this and still is! ASL's "Who?" = BSL's "Why?" I think. A few ASL signs have same meaning to BSL signs but I can't remember what they were.

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/ - ASL Browser

http://www.masterstech-home.com/ASLDict.html - A Basic Dictionary of ASL Terms

If you met a deaf american, make sure you tell her/him where you come from and make her/him to sign slowing! If you don't understand, please don't aplogise repeat that you don't understand (it driving me crazy!). Try to do other way around by gestures. It's depends on you and other really. Just do your best to understand. If fail that, find a pen and a bit of paper!

Good Luck!

Stu

alan a good flyer?

Understatement of the year :)
he's helped me so much. we've had 2 road trips down to hibaldstow in the past fortnight and it's really accelerated my signing.

hoping to be able to get my sitfly sorted so i can still jump with him, cracking guy B|

where do you jump?

I know of 6 deaf skydivers in England, and there are 2 new ones coming soon.

That's news to me! Who are them? Where are they from?

You'll have to ask Alan. He mentioned exactly what I just said, but didn't say any names. I asked for more details but have not heard back from him.

Blue Skies!
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban