lyosha

Black Hardware

Remster

The black coating used on the RI rig I have has lasted two years with no marks.

Is it a hard anodising?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

lyosha

Is black hardware made of a black metal or just coated with something?

Can someone post the wear on the hardware after a few hundred jumps?

Is it more abrasive to the white loop on the risers?

400 jumps on my Vector - still looks great - no obvious wear.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

lyosha

***The black coating used on the RI rig I have has lasted two years with no marks.

Really? That's encouraging.

Anyone with an infinity with black hardware that's seen some action already?

I believe that Velocity - like Rigging Innovations - uses Wichard for black hardware. Other manufacturers may use them as well.

I don't think corrosion resistant steel (aka stainless steel) is considered a ferrous metal. :P

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

I don't think corrosion resistant steel (aka stainless steel) is considered a ferrous metal. :P

dpreguy is correct in that you cannot anodize steel or stainless. Technically if it has iron in it then it's a ferrous class of metal.

The black coating is black oxide. I think for us it would be stainless hardware that's been coated. You can't just do it on zinc coated hardware so stripping then coating is a bad deal. The black oxide application itself uses a salt not an acid so hydrogen embrittlement is not an issue.

I did some of my own anodizing and oxide coating non-parachuting parts I made/machined but I gave up a few years ago as it was a messy and difficult process. Nobody wants their parts to come out blotchy!

-Michael