conoblep

New Rig Question

Dropzoners,
Looking for a first rig to jump, asked a million times but I am curious for this specific rig.

I have 40 jumps

Asking price: $900

UPT Vector II 100 jumps DOM 8/1987 S/N 10485
Performance Designs Navigator 218 ft 50 jumps DOM 3/1992
Performance Designs PD Reserve 176 ft² DOM 9/1988 S/N FL-1519-R

No AAD, no RSL but has hookups for one.

What do you think?

PD wasn't making Navigators in 1992. A Navigator is a 9-cell hybrid ZP/F-111 canopy. What is being sold might be a PD-218 7-cell main. I'd give about $0 for such a canopy.

FL-1519-R is a Flight Concepts Firelite, early 80's technology (30 years ago!). It is not a PDR-176. I'd value it around $200-300. Maybe. Most people would value it less.

The RWS (not UPT) Vector II was made before Cypres AADs. It may have been modified to accept an AAD. Tf not, you will need to send it to UPT for alteration, or find a master rigger to alter it for you. The RSL may be a factory installation or other authorized installation, or may have been added after-market by someone else. If it is in good condition, complete with risers, 2 bags, 2 pilot chutes, etc. and if it doesn't need additional work, then it might be worth $200-300.

This system is old enough to go out drinking. You should just go out drinking with it. If you buy this rig, you should plan to be the last owner.

However, you might get lucky, and you might break even with the money you would otherwise have spent on rental gear. If you think you're lucky, then buy a lottery ticket, but send no money to the seller before he ships it to your local rigger for inspection. That's $0. No shipping, no half-down, no nothing.

Mark

As everyone else has pointed out, that's not a Navigator and it's not a PDR in there.

Have you actually seen the rig in question? Consider also that it may not exist at all... online scammers are getting smarter at adding seemingly plausible details but don't always know enough to make them consistent.

If it does exist though, I think this rig is overpriced. Pass unless it fits you perfectly, matches your jumpsuit and shoes, and smells amazing.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Skydivesg

Let's not forget - the reserve is 27 years old - many, if not most riggers will NOT pack it. Liability concerns is a major driving factor.

I don't think it's even worth $400

But that's just me.

You won't have too much trouble finding someone to pack a Firelite. As long as it is in appropriate condition. You can still buy a brand new one. BUT keep in mind that it is rated by Flight Concepts for 190 lbs. total suspended weight.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.