Mleadley

Gear suggestions for a newbie?

Hey guys and gals.

Just finishing up my consols here in the UK then ive got my A license :)

Just after a few tips about beginner gear, not interested in rigs just yet, but more so recommendations on helmets, altimeters and suits mainly.

Ive got a few ideas for what I would like, so just after some opinions on whether they are suitable.

Cookie fuel helmet w/ cutaway strap.

Viso 2+ alitmeter & normal analogue altimeter until I get comfortable with just using a digital.

Suits im still unsure, I like the tonfly 619 and the vertical raptor but not sure if these are suitable as I don't want to pigeonhole myself to a certain type of flying this early on, nor do I want to trash it with bodged landings etc B|

Ive got goggles and gloves so im all good there.

Any advice appreciated :)
Thanks

Personally I'd add an audible altimeter in there too. Not a required piece of kit, but a very useful one. Solo, Optima, Protrack amongst others.

Jumpsuit - as you're just getting your A licence, personally I think getting a cheap 2nd hand FS suit is the best thing to start. Cheap so trash landings won't be much of an issue for it, and an FS suit as your next target will likely be getting your FS1 sticker so you can jump with others. While some people say the more "hybrid" like suits - FF style with flat grips on legs and arms - are a sort of best of both worlds type suit, I personally think that getting the right tool for the job is best. Use a cheap FS suit to get your FS1, have fun jumping with people, then as you get an idea on what your primary fun route for skydiving is, get another suit (if needed) for that. It might be an FF suit at that point, but you'll then also have your cheap FS suit for when you want to do flat dives.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Also if you're not in a hurry to get a helmet. Buy some Bonehead bone bonds and use them to purchase an Aero. It's lighter than the cookie, visibility is just as good or better and with all the shims, you can get the perfect fit.

Using Bone Bonds, I managed to get a brand new Aero for 300usd

Cookie Fuel is comfortable, a very nice helmet. (cutaway is unnecessary, but if it is more comfortable or makes you feel better, then go for it) It will serve you a long time.

Viso 2 is very nice. Will also serve you a long time.

Stay away from custom free-fly suits unless you just like burning money. Get something used and cheap and jump that until you don't need to ask other people what you are looking for. They are highly tailored not only in fit but also performance and flying preference. In the position you are in, it would be like buying a bespoke Armani suit to go for a job interview at McDonalds.

I never see anyone else with them, but the only helmet I have owned is the Bonehead Revolve. I love it. It's nice having the whole face piece up out of the way until you are moving to the door, and then right back up under canopy.

Get the Viso 2+. You don't need the analog at all. I got an AltiTrack as they were really popular at my home DZ, but now that I'm getting more into canopy piloting, I wish I had a digital.

Suit, ask your instructor. It kind of depends on your size. I'd say something that you can do basic RW in and get in on a couple 2 ways and 4 ways while you are learning to fly your body. Your looking for something to match you to the average fall rate and a reinforced butt and knees so you can slide in a few landings.

definitly get an analog altimeter; cant say how happy i am having one, as every time i get to the dz, my digital altimeters rechargable batteries are DOWN. having said that, if you DO go for a digital, DO NOT get an N3. the visio is what everyone jumps where i do, and it seems to work for them. also, if you fly wingsuits at some point maybe, you'll have problems with a digital, you can always read the analogue one.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

virgin-burner

DO NOT get an N3.

Why not?

Reasons are helpful, not every newbie knows who you are and that they should just take your advice because it comes from a legend of the sport.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Joellercoaster

***DO NOT get an N3.

Why not?

Reasons are helpful, not every newbie knows who you are and that they should just take your advice because it comes from a legend of the sport.

oh, i'm sorry, you 2nd legend of the sport, i think i gave plenty of reasons as to WHY get an analogue, right? does your highness disagree on any of them?

you can charge that POS as many times as you want and leave it laying around at home doing nothing, once you go jump, it surely is NOT charged anymore.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

My VisoII has been telling me that it is almost out of battery charge, for about a year now. Then the other week, went jumping, usual flashing empty battery sign which I ignored as is standard, then as the day went on it slowly got more and more charged!! By the end of hte day it was showing a full battery. And no, I am not joking or being stupid. 100% genuine.

Now I believe that the VisoII is cleverly designed to generate power through its use, and if there was enough mass production of these units, we could solve the world's power problems. That part was me joking and being stupid.

I'd heard problems with batteries for N2s, not N3s, but then I'm not even remotely a legend...
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).