leapdog

Plastic riser cable housing inserts

Did a search, didn't find the info I was looking for. Does anyone know what the material for the plastic housings are that Sunpath and other manufacturers use? I think it could be HDPE but I don't know.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Not sure of the chemical description ... but the material is similar to the clear plastic "chockers" that Strong Enterprises uses on Dual Hawk (tandem) free-bags.
Also similar to the plastic cutaway housings that Rigging Innovations used on Flexons, back during the early 1990s.

Yeah- I started jumping in the early 2000s. I know the part you are talking about with the strong free bags in the dual hawk system. but those are way to rigid. Or maybe just seems that way since it is littel chunks that won't bend. I'm pretty sure it is just High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) but in private message I'm having a discussion about it and it seems it could just be regular polyethylene.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

skytribe

The stuff from lowes/home depot works just fine.

Have you had real world experience? Ie: a cutaway with twisted risers and the home depot stuff in the risers?

You are the second person I have talked to that said to use the short housing for the cutaway handle. Seem more expensive than the purpose made mental inserts.

Appreciate the help everyone. I did manage to get to home depot and pick up some polyethylene. I'm sure it will do the trick after actually handling it.

Kits are available from UPT, 2 pieces of small, metal housing material, capped. The caps prevent the housing from sliding down and through the white loop on the 3-rings, preventing a cutaway. I have seen the plastic do exactly that, the jumper would not have been able to cutaway. After seeing that, I would never use the plastic.

Derek V

Hooknswoop

Kits are available from UPT, 2 pieces of small, metal housing material, capped. The caps prevent the housing from sliding down and through the white loop on the 3-rings, preventing a cutaway. I have seen the plastic do exactly that, the jumper would not have been able to cutaway. After seeing that, I would never use the plastic.

Derek V

Personal choice. There is more than one way to make things work and still be safe. I got it. It's all good.

On some rigs, the channel for the anti twist housings (short riser housings) is closed but a hole for the cable insertion. Personnaly, I prefer the telephone metal housing. Seems more rigid in case of severe line twists.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

On some rigs, the channel for the anti twist housings (short riser housings) is closed but a hole for the cable insertion. Personnaly, I prefer the telephone metal housing. Seems more rigid in case of severe line twists.

I have seen the plastic inserts slide through the hole in the channel on the rear riser for them and through the white 3-ring locking loop. That would have prevented a cutaway. UPT caps their inserts so that if they are allowed to slide out of the housings for any reason, the cutaway cable prevent them from sliding down through the white locking loop.

Derek V

If it came out of the hole, then one of two things probably occurred.

1. They were added afterwards and not secured or a bad design.
2. The hole was made too large, or enlarged over time and was not periodically checked.

If UPT was that adamant about the anti-twist perhaps they should update there 3 ring spec manual for building risers. It doesn't even detail any anti-twist additions.

The hard housings are definitely a good addition but they too are not infallible - I've recently seen three rigs with hard cutaway housings that have been crushed or are just coming apart. So any material used can be a problem.

Whatever is used - it is important that it is periodically checked to ensure it is still secured and in airworthy condition.