highspeeddirt

grommet in type 8 risers

highspeeddirt

does it make any real difference if the grommet in a pair of type 8 risers is a #0 stainless or a #2 stainless?

Good question. I've seen and used both. I don't know if that helps you though.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

These days most anything civilian is nickel coated Brass and only looks like stainless steel. Last I saw anything stainless was on a military rig and they still use #2 grommets on the risers.

#0 and long shank or as I found out a longer length under flange measurement (LUF). The ones found in paragear are all .175 LUF. For risers you need about a .2 and up.

I have been looking but can't seem to find any suppliers for a "long shank" #0 grommet. Which is why you may see a #2 being used since they have the longer LUF measurement.

Speaking of a source- anyone know where to find #0 grommets with a longer than .175 length?

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Hi leapdog,

The ones found in paragear are all .175 LUF. For risers you need about a .2 and up.

From what I understand, the 0.175" LUF is a standard #0 grommet. I just measured some #0 long grommets that I have and they are 0.071" longer => ~ 0.246".

I have been making my recent grommet purchases from these guys: http://www.mauritzon.net/index.html

Give them a call and see if they can help you.

Jerry Baumchen

dpreguy

leap d: "long shank "O" stainless steel grommet = Para Gear

Paragear sucks...pricey and they can't tell you what shipping is until you made the purchase. Last time I used them I got charged a big shipping bill for next to no product. No where on the net have I found a vendor that couldn't tell you up front what shipping was before you checked out.

I found a great price for .241 luf nickel coated brass #0 at lord and hodge in CT. I ordered from them.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

dpreguy

You are right about the shipping on small orders.
Way too much. Notwithstanding...
I usually get big orders. I regard them as a great company.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. Great company for you and probably a few others. Not for everyone. There seems to be this thing in our sport that if certain people endorse something then it should be good for every and the grey area gets skipped. Then the ones who dussagree for good reason get crap in return. Kind of a shame really. Not saying that is what you are imying, just saying in general.