mcbridetm

New Skydiver Gear Question

I am just getting in to the sport and am looking into get a rig in the coming months. I was wondering when the best time to get a rig is (before or after A license)? Should I get a jumpsuit and helmet first or focus on the rig? Also, I am 6' 4" so I am having trouble finding a used container that would fit me. Should I go all new or maybe a new container with used chutes and AAD? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Usually student gear has a lot of adjustability built into it. So maybe you could purchase some used student gear. Alternatively a master rigger can resize a harness for you too. We have a guy who is 6'10" and for sure all his gear is custom made. At 6'4" it's not impossible.

I always recommend spending your first 100-150 jumps on high mileage gear before purchasing something new. Unless you're flush with cash.

-Michael

1) Yes, get a jumpsuit (and a helmet and goggles and gloves and an altimeter). You're going to need at least one for sure (I have, uh, five?). There is plenty of debate about what kind to get and I have strong opinions on the subject, but you should absolutely buy one pretty much immediately.

2) Don't hold your breath for a second hand rig, especially to fit beginner canopies. They do exist in your size, but you will need some luck and a lot of patience. Personal opinion? Buy a container made to measure, and put second hand canopies in it. This idea that you will downsize rapidly from your first container is frankly crap; I had mine for years and I downsized canopies (in retrospect) fairly aggressively.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

hackish

Usually student gear has a lot of adjustability built into it. So maybe you could purchase some used student gear. Alternatively a master rigger can resize a harness for you too. We have a guy who is 6'10" and for sure all his gear is custom made. At 6'4" it's not impossible.

I always recommend spending your first 100-150 jumps on high mileage gear before purchasing something new. Unless you're flush with cash.

-Michael

I don't understand the rationale behind this. Saving $25 a jump by having your own gear pays for your used gear around that many jumps and you still have a rig after to sell and upgrade. Is this recommended in case you want to downsize before or what?

wildernessmedic

***Usually student gear has a lot of adjustability built into it. So maybe you could purchase some used student gear. Alternatively a master rigger can resize a harness for you too. We have a guy who is 6'10" and for sure all his gear is custom made. At 6'4" it's not impossible.

-Michael

I don't understand the rationale behind this. Saving $25 a jump by having your own gear pays for your used gear around that many jumps and you still have a rig after to sell and upgrade. Is this recommended in case you want to downsize before or what?

I wonder how I could have worded what I wrote differently so readers would have understood what I was saying. Dropzones frequently sell their gear after 500-1000 jumps and it is therefore possible to buy a high mileage student rig for a decent price. Student gear is often quite adjustable so could be made to fit him.

-Michael

hackish

******Usually student gear has a lot of adjustability built into it. So maybe you could purchase some used student gear. Alternatively a master rigger can resize a harness for you too. We have a guy who is 6'10" and for sure all his gear is custom made. At 6'4" it's not impossible.

-Michael

I wonder how I could have worded what I wrote differently so readers would have understood what I was saying. Dropzones frequently sell their gear after 500-1000 jumps and it is therefore possible to buy a high mileage student rig for a decent price. Student gear is often quite adjustable so could be made to fit him.

-Michael

My bad I read that wrong.

There are plenty of gear deals out there that are priced to be competitive with some of the used gear offers and would be sized to fit. I sell new gear all the time for the same price or lower than a lot of the used gear packages to get new jumpers in the air. You just have to keep your eyes open. I see all the time people telling new jumpers not to buy new and to buy used until they have x number of jumps but new gear fits you because it was made for you. You can get a container for say a 190 and then as you progress downsize to a 170 in the same container so the logic doesn't add up to me
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

***can you sell me a H/C, main, and reserve for $1600?[/quote ] a couple of years back. I bought a quasar 2 pdr 176 and a triathlon 190
from the classified ads on here .for exactly that. Less than 400 jumps on it. 1 ride on the reserve just saying
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I'm sorry I meant nice used gear. You occasionally find good quality used gear for a great price but not that price very often. More importantly, on the rare occasion you do find gear at that great of a price, what are the odds its going to be a perfect fit for this guy? Nothing has changed about my post. I stand by what I said.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

tred

exactly my point, I did similar, unless money doesn't matter I believe newer skydivers should be patient because there are really good deals out there

Especially as the end of the "busy" season approaches. There are going to be plenty of larger canopies and H/C's for sale in the weeks to come.

BigMikeH77

***exactly my point, I did similar, unless money doesn't matter I believe newer skydivers should be patient because there are really good deals out there

Especially as the end of the "busy" season approaches. There are going to be plenty of larger canopies and H/C's for sale in the weeks to come. I sent a pm to the o.p.. I'm 6ft 4 and 260lbs. I have a talon with araven 3 with like 3 repacks on it and a 229 Safire. probably be perfect for him. but young kids today are scared of the old school stuff.:D
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

I'm 6ft 4 and 260lbs. I have a talon with a raven 3 with like 3 repacks on it and a 229 Safire. probably be perfect for him. but young kids today are scared of the old school stuff.:D

RI Talon is TSO'd for exit weight of 254. If you are jumping this rig, your exit weight is around 280 or higher and you are a test jumper.

-Mark