EJDM

Altimeter Watch - HELP!

Hi,

I'm trying to buy my boyfriend an Altimeter skydiving watch but I no nothing about them! (Not a skydiver myself).

I've been overwhelmed with information on the internet shopping sites and hoping I can get some help here.

I'm wanting to spend about $300 US.

What are the must have features? What's not needed? Anything else I should know?

Thank you so much :)

Thank you so much. I didn't realize the ones that looked like normal, everyday watches, would be just as good as the others.
Sorry, I sound very ditzy, I know! I have zero knowledge of skydiving and just trying my best to get him a good watch :)

Just make sure that an altimeter watch is what he wants. There are a lot of mixed opinions about them. The face and numbers are smaller and harder to read in free fall and it may have some lag time during free fall. Most people like them once under canopy for landing accuracy and high performance landings. I don't use mine as a primary altimeter. I actually got it for hiking, but started using it to help with my landing patterns.

The Suunto watches work pretty good, but do have a little lag. Not a big deal but some people have an issue with that. I have used a Suunto and it was fine for tandems, but don't really like it for everyday fun jumping. They also don't have the data logger.

For a good everyday alti, I use the N3. I like the fact that it's rechargable, so I don't ever have to worry about batteries, just keeping it charged. I usually charge it the night before I head to the DZ and have used it all weekend without having to recharge it.

I hear the Viso is good, but I have no first hand experience with one.

EJDM

Thank you :)

I guess it's all personal taste but would you say skydivers prefer the digital altimeters or the ones with hands?

The n3 looks similar to the one he usually uses, just much newer.

I'd highly recommend a gift certificate to a skydiving gear store in lieu of trying to pick something out for him.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

***Thank you :)

I guess it's all personal taste but would you say skydivers prefer the digital altimeters or the ones with hands?

I'd highly recommend a gift certificate to a skydiving gear store in lieu of trying to pick something out for him.:)
this or try and contact some of his skydiver friends, that know him and can tell you more about his needs skydivingwise than we could ever anticipate
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Pobrause

******Thank you :)

^^this! :)this or try and contact some of his skydiver friends, that know him and can tell you more about his needs skydivingwise than we could ever anticipate
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda