wildernessmedic

Basic pack job video?

For the main, definitely "Saber 2 Pro Pack" by Nick Grillet, or "How to Pack a Large Canopy" also by Nick Grillet.

For the PC, watch "The Secret to Pilot Chute Packing" by Brian Germain.

For closing the container, they are all slightly different so go to their website and see if they have a video. If not, you can download the manual for a step-by-step with pictures.

jbscout2002

- Also, there are two types of people in the 101st. There are Rakkasans, and then there is everyone else.

Let Valor Not Fail

Thank god for everyone else.

Thanks for the tips will check them out. It seems i'm able to do everything but probably the most important part. The flaking out and equalizing the canopy before pulling the tail around and folding it into the bag. Having trouble understanding what lines are what and how to get them right and equal. More practice and videos until I get to the DZ again.

The "PRO" in Pro Pack stands for Proper Ram-air Organization. The point is to neatly and evenly/symmetrically organize the lines to the center and the nylon to the outside. You wrap the tail around it to contain your pack job in a neat package so the lines and nylon don't shit out of place while you fold and bag it.

IMO flaking isn't that big a deal (as long as it is done to some degree), but all lines need to be accounted for and placed correctly or you could get a line-over mal. The more important part is making sure the slider is quartered and properly seated smugly against the slider stops. Then folding and bagging.

I see many new jumpers taking great care to walk the lines, count the nose cells, and flake. They do this meticulously, and then they jam the nose cells all the way to the back of the pack job (pushing the lines apart) and then they go to the ground and get sloppy trying to wrestle it into the bag. Everything you did up to this point makes no difference if you let your slider move out of place, and your lines bleed back out into the nylon while you fight with it. It simply will never come out of the bag more organized than when it went it.

I got an Aerodyne canopy so I have color coded line attachments, which really helps out when your new to packing. Perhaps you can mark your lines close to the attachment points with a sharpie to get that same advantage. (not the attachment points themselves, but a little bit of the lines that will be replaced at some point anyways)

Thanks guys

JohnnyBoulder

http://www.packing-made-simple.com/
https://www.adventurewisdom.com/index.php/store#!/~/product/id=37711064

Also, when I got my own gear I videotaped a rigger packing it as a more equipment specific reference.

That is an excellent idea.

Idk why a few times i've pulled my canopy out and it has line twists even though i've walked the lines and it seems like done a decent job of separating them. I am miles away from being able to jump my own pack.

Also check out Icarus's site. Look at the Safire 2 and they have links for a couple manuals. One shows step by step the psycho pack method. It is the same as the pro pack all the way to the point that you put it on the floor. At that point you flip it over so your nose is facing up. You adjust the back shirt a little to tighten up the cocoon, and then you fold it in and roll the whole thing up like a sleeping bag and slide it in the bad nice and neat.