Scoop

Front riser turns/dives on large canopy

A few times now I've grabbed the dive loops and given it some abuse on one front riser only to get a very placid turn which gradually speeds up but nothing very responsive. I'm jumping a Silhouette 210 loaded at 1.19:1 and am doing this from full flight up nice and high for shits and giggles. I'd like to be able to initiate and hold a spiralling momentum.

Anyone got any tips other than stop being limp wristed and really give it some abuse? :D I do find the pressure on the fronts quite high. Wonder if I am overlooking something or theres something I can do to compliment the riser input like weight shifting maybe.

Any thoughts? Thanks

I cant get my Silhouette 210 to dive either. All I really get is a flutter in the canopy.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

You're not going to be able to induce a spiral by pulling down a front like that, I don't think, because as you build speed, it's going to want to plane out.
If you're trying to do a 90, 180, etc...you might be getting the turn, but can't really feel it.
I'm not a canopy coach, but having one work with me, I've been pulling front turns very high, and feeling it plane out after releasing, then going to toggles to flare, practicing these moves very high up.

I do find the pressure on the fronts quite high.

The front risers are usually harder to hold down. As the speed of the turn increases the load on the riser will increase and it will become even harder to hold down. This has been true on every canopy I've jumped.

Shifting weight in the harness will also initiate a turn, but on my 210, I can shift almost all my weight onto one leg strap. If you want to know about gentle turns for lots of effort, try that. I really doubt that I could hold that kind of position in the harness while also trying to hold down a front riser in a spiral.

A 210 is a fairly big canopy. Like everything fun in this world, if you really want to give it some, I would suggest using two hands.

I cant get my Silhouette 210 to dive either. All I really get is a flutter in the canopy.

As I was informed in my recent canopy camp, a front riser dive should be nice and smooth. If the canopy is bucking and fluttering, then maybe you also have some brakes applied. Take a look at the tail of your canopy in full flight and perhaps get a rigger or canopy coach to watch you flying it. If the tail is being pulled down slightly even in full flight, then maybe you need to lengthen your brake lines. Once I did that, my front riser dives were smooth as silk - no more bucking and fluttering.

im jumping a falcon 215 and i can get that monster to spin out of the sky using front risers. all i do is reach accross with one hand and pull as far down as i can and then use my other hand to pull it further. works like a charmB|

Blues!

What are you doing with the toggles while you have both hands on one front riser?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If the tail is being pulled down slightly even in full flight, then maybe you need to get a qualified rigger to lengthen your brake lines. Once I did that, my front riser dives were smooth as silk - no more bucking and fluttering.

I think that this might be a better idea! :PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

If the tail is being pulled down slightly even in full flight, then maybe you need to get a qualified rigger to lengthen your brake lines. Once I did that, my front riser dives were smooth as silk - no more bucking and fluttering.

I think that this might be a better idea! [Tongue][Cool]

That's what I meant, but I guess it doesn't hurt to be explicit in here. :P

A few times now I've grabbed the dive loops and given it some abuse on one front riser only to get a very placid turn which gradually speeds up but nothing very responsive. I'm jumping a Silhouette 210 loaded at 1.19:1 and am doing this from full flight up nice and high for shits and giggles. I'd like to be able to initiate and hold a spiralling momentum.

Anyone got any tips other than stop being limp wristed and really give it some abuse? :D I do find the pressure on the fronts quite high. Wonder if I am overlooking something or theres something I can do to compliment the riser input like weight shifting maybe.

Any thoughts? Thanks

I jump a 190 at 1.2/1

In order to get any action out of my front risers without doing a chin-up, I either give it some toggle input first, or rear riser then transition quickly to my fronts. It allows the "slack" I need to pull them down slowly. I keep my toggles in hand throughout the process.

Inevitably my canopy does start bucking due to the brake lines pulling the rear of my canopy down, the farther I pull the front risers.

Beware,if you lengthen your brake lines, your canopy will flare differently, and possibly not stall when you want it to...

A friend and I took our B exams at the same time and that became a standing joke between us ever since. We thought it was funny as hell that they would throw that answere in there. Glad it jogged your funny bone.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Oh man this whole time I thought that was the right answer;)

I dont think my break lines are too short. I cant stall my canopy by just using deep breaks.

P.S........shouldent you be working Lastchance;)
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Oh man this whole time I thought that was the right answer;)

I dont think my break lines are too short. I cant stall my canopy by just using deep breaks.

P.S........shouldent you be working Lastchance;)

I've always had some buffet on:

Star Trak II (308ft^2, 7-cell F-111)
PD-260 (260ft^2, 9-cell F-111)
Spectre 230 (230ft^2, 7-cell ZP)

when diving straight. (Steering trim was not a problem at the time...)

Recently got out the PD-260 and found that the trim is a little out now... Full stall at a little past 3/4 brakes :D... Made for a careful landing.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

>I dont think my break lines are too short. I cant stall my canopy by just using deep breaks.

That doesn't mean much. Your brake lines can be too short - and you still may not be able to stall it. Watch the tail during front riser dives, and if the tail is deflected at all - lengthen your brake lines.

I jumped a maveric 200 for 800 jumps, i was doing video on this canopy and when i needed to lose altitude i would pull only the outside line on one of the front risers. the tension is much less than the whole riser but usually requred the use of both hands as it is quite awckward. i would go back to using toggles at about 1000' my boss at the time was a CRW veteran and he suggested the technique to me!

It worked for me!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix