FastRodriguez

Should I change my steering line?

Morning guys!

I have a question :)
Yesterday, I landed and while I was setting my brakes I realized that in the left steering line, a piece of line was protruding out from the center of the line towards the surface, sort of like a steering line herniation :D (I hope you guys understand what I mean, english is not my first language and this technical stuff confuses me a little)
I showed a rigger who was there ( not my usual guy as Im jumping outside of my home country atm) and he just said to pull the excess, cut it, and push the edge back into the main line. Almost like if the line was made out of a core line and some sort of casing, leaving, in escence the casing only.
My question is, is this safe? Should I get a rigger to change the line? If so, should I ground the rig until Is changed, or can I do the 12 jumps I already booked before I go home?
Thanks!
Maybe I should mention that the canopy is a brand new pilot with less than 30 jumps on it.
"I don´t stop when I am tired. I stop when I am done"

You asked the rigger, who gave you the answer.

In all likelihood, it is the end of the finger trap working its way out and the rigger's advice is reasonably valid.

If you had questions - why did you not ask the rigger to explain? That way you could have fully understood what was happening. Its much easier to explain and answer questions when there is someone right in front of you.

All parachute line commonly used for canopy rigging line is finger trapped and this is a very common thing to see the popping out. Most common place is just above the steering toggles.

Depending upon whether this has been bartacked or not and how much it would need to be trimmed by. Trimming may be applicable. If so the cut should be tapered to avoid a sharp point when inside which over time can cause more damage.

I wouldn't cut it, just have someone redo the fingertrap for the excess brake line.

If your brake lines are otherwise sound, not shrunk, or not excessively worn, then this is not a reason to replace the brake lines. Someone with a finger trap tool, or a fid, can get the excess back into the line in 2 minutes.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Thank you for your answers.
I did ask the rigger, and he wasnt very interested in giving me an explanation. He just said, cut here and is all good. There is also the language barrier, Im spanish, in germany at the moment, the rigger doesnt speak english or spanish, and my german is a bit limited.
In any case, I did as the rigger told me, cut the excess with a pair of scissors and it looks nice now.
I thought Id double check with you guys

Thanks again!
"I don´t stop when I am tired. I stop when I am done"