that_guy

Learning the gear.

So I am preparing for a packing class to continue advancing in my competency and for A-license sign offs. I always like to learn as much as I can in advance of courses so that I can get the most out of the teaching rather than trying to play catch up as i learn a slew of new information.

Right now I am trying to get a really good grasp on all of the different components that make up an entire rig. I have looked around a decent amount and find bits of info here and there. What i am hoping someone can point me towards is a resource that in detail fully breaks down an entire container and harness systems into an easy to look at exploded view of all of the components with descriptions as well as all of the components of the canopy and lines. There are a lot of different things i am still learning, like the differences between Slinks and hard links, differences in riser length, etc.

This is obviously a n00b question so be gentle and help a guy out.

FAA Rigger Handbook.

Available as a free download.

There's a lot of info that you really won't need.
And more than a few riggers will debate it's merits & shortcomings.

But it's got pretty decent descriptions & drawings of the components of a rig.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Buy a rigger you like a case of beer and ask them to give you a hackey to leg strap orientation. There are a LOT of differences in gear but they all do pretty much the same thing, so at this point just try and absorb the basics. If you can find an older rigger, they will be able to give you some history on development of the systems too, and it will probably make their day that someone who is learning is into that stuff :D

(Hackey to legstrap with the main completely out that is e.g. top to bottom) ;)

I'm sorry. It should not cost a case of beer. A beer, yes, because it's required to lubricate the brain enough to talk that long :P. Just wait until the beer light is on, or the weather kicks up.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Save the in depth learning of the make-up of the engineering of your container until the day after your packing class ..... then learn all you can. You will over load otherwise before your class. that is "my" opinion. The one thing that every beginner packer struggles with while staring into the center of the canopy while it's hanging on their shoulder is how to pull the fabric to the outside, Concentrate on that. On the right side you are going to make three U shapes outward and on the left side you are going to make three U shapes outward.

((( )))
((( )))
((( )))

A 7 cell has 3 pieces to pull into the U shape, per U shape.

A 9 cell has 4 pieces to pull into the U shape, per U shape.

(((( ))))
(((( ))))
(((( ))))

Your instructor will teach you the rest. About doing line checks, placing the slider properly, S folding, putting the slippery mess into the bag, and stowing your lines properly, etc..

If you have a canopy already, trying separating the material as shown above...................keep trying. Then shake it out and do it again and again. All of a sudden you will see what I am showing. Learn this and your packing class will be much easier. Don't jump your first few pack jobs without your instructor's approval.
Life is short ... jump often.

Thanks for all the great replies folks. I have been having people show me what they are doing when they pack and combined with the FAA book and the step by step guide contained in it as well as the videos I have been watching i think this should be no problem to get down.

Being a military guy, I work really well with processes and checklists and the thing I am seeing is that the process is pretty much the same everywhere.

I happen to be planning on camping at the DZ overnight the night before my class so i suppose that would be as good a time as any to get to know the packers a little better.

Thanks again for the awesome replies!!!