bbrodes

How much money am I losing?

Age is a less critical factor than considering:
1) How many jumps are on the canopy?
2) How has it been stored when not in use?
3) Is the canopy / design one that is still common / popular?

I helped a coworker who'd been out of the sport for nearly 15 years sell his stuff recently. Most of what he had was gear that's less popular today, but he also had a Spectre 190 and was pleasantly surprised to hear that even though it'd been in a closet for 15 years, that Spectres were still popular and that a 190 would be a popular size for newer jumpers, so he could actually get a good price for the main.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

bbrodes

I am trading a 2013 pilot168 zp with 250 jumps for a 2005 pilot 140zp with 90 jumps. Am I losing money trading for a 10 year old canopy? How much does age affect price? Any input would be great, thanks!

on a counter side, how much are you willing to pay for the convenience of trading rather than selling, and then buying ?

That is worth some to me, especially the fact that I am trading for a smaller canopy. I don't mind losing a couple hundred bucks. I'm really just trying to find the value of the 140. I am valuing mine at about 1750. I'm guessing 1500 for the 140?

bbrodes

That is worth some to me, especially the fact that I am trading for a smaller canopy. I don't mind losing a couple hundred bucks. I'm really just trying to find the value of the 140. I am valuing mine at about 1750. I'm guessing 1500 for the 140?

Incorrect on both. Age has virtually no bearing on cost of a canopy so long as the design is still modern.

You have a Pilot, a canopy with worse-than-average resale value. In my personal opinion I'd say yours is worth 1400-1500, his is worth 1700. So you're getting a killer deal. Until the Pilot2 gets announced... that's when your canopy will halve in value overnight.

If you're in doubt, have an impartial rigger examine and value both canopies.

They'll know what to look for. :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

yoink

***It is odd that the pilot is one of the only canopies that hasn't been updated in a long time...

The Pilot isn't that old! :D:D

It's newer than the Sabre2, isn't it? And the Sabre2 was not an update of the Sabre, it was a whole new canopy!

Also, I can't wait for the Stiletto2 :P
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?