virgin-burner

altering a jumpsuit

as some of you may know, i almost got killed in a work accident over a year ago. in the aftermath, i've lost about 66lbs. now, my "eye-wateringly" expensive sonic freefly suit is a little wobbly here and there. looks like i'm wearing a fucking trashbag really.

anyone got theirs re-fit? went through a seamstress, rigger, back to factory?

it's a sonic v2.0, so quite a bit of cordura and other not so standard materials, so i guess the seamstress is out.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i wrote an email to sonic, see what they come up with.

cant be bothered to spend another fortune on a jumpsuit, otherwise i'll go back to my old cotton-one.

tracksuits are more fun anyway! :P

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

piisfish

or you could just eat a shitload of gipfeli and Schoggiweggli to get your 66lbs back.

can i dunk the gipfeli and the schoggiweggli in fondue du valais!? :P
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I make my own suits so I do understand your issue. It can be done but you might have to take it all apart, cut and sew again. It will take too much time to undo all those stitches for it to be worth it. Almost 70 lbs weight loss is a lot of fabric to be removed. Buying a new one might be cheaper than letting seamstress alter it. Most riggers know how to fix zippers or tears on suits but have no idea how to make them from scratch, therefore no idea where and how much to cut.

***As the ink on my ticket dried then started to fade with age I've become acutely aware that only some riggers can sew and far fewer can sew well. I think you just need to find one of those.

-Michael[/quote

Which reminds me of the lectures about jumpsuit repair, vacuum cleaner repair, camera repair, repairs on close reserve containers, etc. during the CSPA Rigger A Course.

I have taught that course at least a dozen times, but cannot find those lesson plans????
Where do the FAA Practical Testing Standards call for jumpsuit repairs?
.... nor can I find those lesson plans from the last rigger course that I taught in Switzerland?????
Which chapter in Poynter's Manual covers jumpsuit repairs???
Which chapter in the FAA manual covers jump-suit repairs?

Or are jumpsuit repairs one of those skills that riggers are expected to learn without any formal training?????

When teaching young riggers to sew, I try to start them with jumpsuit repairs.

Bottom line: sewing is a perishable skill (like languages) that must be practiced - on a regular basis - if you want to retain it.

riggerrob

Or are jumpsuit repairs one of those skills that riggers are expected to learn without any formal training?????

Required, no. Many of the materials and techniques used in jumpsuits are the same. I expect a good rigger should be able to tackle the job. It's not a coincidence that many riggers learn to sew making jumpsuits, packing mats and gear bags.

-Michael