christine2645

My father left me all of his jump gear/equipment when he died.

My father was a jump master and also participated in formation skydiving. He recently passed away and I just found all of his gear. I have no idea what to do with it or where to take it so I can determine what all of this equipment is or what it is worth. Can anyone help me please? I live in the Minneapolis area.

riggerrob

Start with the Minneapolis phone book.
Phone all the jump schools and ask them to recommend a local
rigger.

Just because it's probably old gear doesn't mean she has to go old school and try to find a phone book in this day and age! She could probably look them up on the USPA directory or with the Google (though to the OP, be warned that just doing a search can get you some booking companies that aren't actual dropzones).

http://www.uspa.org/FindaDZ/GroupMemberListbyStateandTerritories/Minnesota/tabid/379/Default.aspx
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Lee- I LOVE that idea if only I knew how to use it all myself and knew if it was all in good working order. I all ready know that his jumpsuit fits and I've tandem dived 3 times so I can't wait for my next opportunity. My father's wishes were to spread his ashes over his favorite drop zone (near Green Bay, WI) and I'd love to make that happen, using his rig and gear (if I can get away with it;). Just need to find an expert to check everything out and I'll take it from there!

Start with talking to the local dropzone to find a seasoned rigger in the area to check the gear.

While I know how much the idea of jumping his gear would mean to you (and him) some things to consider:

- if you are going to be on the ash dive, you first need the experience to do it safely (see your AFF instructor for a start).
- if his gear is going to be used for that jump, it must be in good condition (hence the visit to the rigger).
- if you're going to be the one using his gear for that jump, it must be appropriate for you (weight, size, experience v/s gear type) Rigger and instructors will help you evaluate that aspect.

If you proceed with patience, a plan, realistic goals and focus on safety this would be a wonderful and memorable thing for you to do.

But (sorry if I'm sounding negative) I am SURE the last thing he would want is for you to push forward with something unsafe and get hurt trying to do this "for him".

Best wishes in your goals!
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Just be aware that the gear, depending on the age, might be worth something, or might be worth almost nothing -- just a few hundred bucks to the rare experienced jumper who knows about old stuff and wants it for its novelty.

You could also upload a couple photos here. One wouldn't know what the main canopy is without unpacking the rig, but one would get some idea of what era and style of gear we're talking about. Information about the reserve parachute would be on a packing card hidden on the rig.

As a tandem student you might well be able to participate in an ash dive; not as the releaser probably, but on the jump with one of his jumping friends (a very experienced one) releasing them in front of you.

For that, I'd contact the DZ that he used to jump at. If you don't know the name of the DZ, you can figure it out from the dropzone locator here on DZ.com (conveniently located on the "dropzone" tab above). They can probably also direct you to the rigger who used to pack his gear if it was fairly recently.

Even if it ends up not happening for some reason, he'd most likely be thrilled that you're making this effort.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)