parafredo

Reserve blow out

I have not. But I'm very curious about the estimated speed at the terminal opening. Were there any factors that would indicate excessive speed?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Any riggers out there ever see or heard about a correctly loading reserve canopy that got the middle cell blew out from a terminal opening , under 130 knots

Yes, the failures were located at the point of a previous tensile test on a tandem reserve.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I saw a Raven Dash-M that tore in 3 places. The jumper was over-weight, over-speed and unstable when he scared his Cypres. How many more mistakes can you make and expect to survive?

One thing that might have prevented catastrophic failure was more span-wise reinforcement tapes. SWRT are now standard on canopies designed to be loaded more than 1 pound per square foot.
For example, I have one jump on a Precision RMax-118 reserve loaded "to the top edge of the chart" and it flew just fine and landed me softly. I would never buy a resrerve that small, but would seriously consider buying an RMax-150
or 170.

Raven Dash-Ms also had problems with line attachment tapes failing. Precision tried to save weight/bulk by using lighter line attachment tapes. The solution was to replace wimpy Type 3 tape with Type 1 webbing.
Most ram-air mains are built with Type 3 tape for line attachments and they last 2,000 or 3,000 jumps. 3/4 inch wide Type 4 tape is rated for 400 pounds.

Since reserves open harder, most manufacturers use tougher Type 1 webbing rated for 500 pounds.

For comparison, tandems use even stronger tapes for line attachments (e.g. 1 inch wide Type 4 tape rated for 1,000 pounds).

riggerrob

Most ram-air mains are built with Type 3 tape for line attachments and they last 2,000 or 3,000 jumps. 3/4 inch wide Type 3 tape is rated for 400 pounds.

I guess it was a typo. Now it's fixed ;)
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen