JackHDZ

RDS slider on storm 135

It is an Icarus 96 JVX's
The slider size is almost identical: Same width and 2in longer than my Storm stock slider. I do not plan to use the full rds since the d-bag's dacron line is too short for my canopy

I would like more details on the malfonctions/problems that could occur. I have some kind of clue but external opinion would be greatly appreciated.

An experienced canopy pilot will test-fly the setup before I try it myself.
Altitude=safety

stayhigh

I'd bet it will open up normal.

I remember some dude hooking up Removal Silder sideways. Not on purpose but out of mistake. Horrible opening but the guy didn't chop.

Hint: try colour-coding the corners .... Red fabric goes to red ring .... Blue fabric goes to blue ring ..... etc.

If the rds is slightly larger than the stock slider then thats actually what you want. To maintain the same openings, the rds has to be slightly larger.... or domed. Think about the rings vs the grommets and where they sit on the slider. Every rds ive ever seen or built, allows more air past the slider and onto the bottom skin of the canopy which at the same size as stock will have the same drag, but the canopy now has a little more pressure on it making it open faster or hard. At least start a little bigger. Openings start getting funky when the slider is considerable wider than the span between the center cell inner A lines. Also true when its considerably larger than the b-c stabilizer gap. Try it right out the door on a hop and pop, if alls well, then delay a couple seconds. Then try it terminal... Whats really funny is go look at pd's canopy line trim charts. They have the slider dimensions on there. They use the same 2 sizes on every model and size they make. the exception being the katana 135,150,and 170, which use a domed, vented slider. So if 2 sizes of slider work on all pd canopies, then what does that tell you? it can be interpreted a lot of ways i know but what i tells me is that they design their canopies to work with already standard sizes to simplify production and that all the canopies require similar drag forces on the sliders..... take from all this gibberish what you want but i was bored so theres my 2 cents. be safe
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

JackHDZ

Hi there
I got a pretty RDS for 96sqft and smaller.
Conducting a little survey to see if I run after a reserve ride or worst if I rig it up to my 135 storm.

Please tells us what you are trying to accomplish by putting it on a Storm. What value are you trying to achieve?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

i tried to buy an rds slider for my sabre2 150 from pd, but they wouldn't sell me one. no reason why, just wouldn't sell me one.

i didn't want it for performance reasons, just easier to look around under canopy with no slider in the way. as a side note, i also wanted vectran lines, but they wouldn't do that either.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Nobody would sell me an rds slider for a safire 159 either.... weird huh? Something about not needing it for performance, blah blah bla... So i made one myself... well actually like 20 of them and lots of hop and pops. I personally have a hate hate relationship with standard sliders. Theyre annoying, restrictive and i cant see shit behind me. I started for that reason and now its starting to help performance on a katana 135 loaded at 1.7. Its just so nice to take it off (which is faster than stowing and collapsing and stuffing it behind your head) and then letting everyting open up and being able to look around and see everything. ok bottom line is there are more benefits than just performance. It does add a minute to pack times but oh well. Totally worth it to me.
Im going to go out on a limb and just guess that pd doesnt offer them for intermediate canopies because its more of a liability than its worth to them... If someone hooked it up wrong and then had a killer opening, well nothing falls back on them necessarily, but it looks bad. I dont know of a manufacturer (other than Fluid Wings) that will supply rds' with larger non cross braced canopies.... Were working on a high performance 9 cell that will come with the option of an rds standard. Its a little ways off yet, but its exciting....
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

PD has its own way of doing things..

I'm buying their nearly 3000 dollar shit, and I ask for 4 1/2 inch extension on break line and their response is, "We only add by 3 inch increment."

so you get 3 inch + or 6 inch +.... and they say that they haven't done any R&D with other increments... :S

however with NZaerosports, I asked them 2 1/2 inch extension and their answer was, "sure."

If you want to put vectran or HMA on your Sabre, Specter, Stiellto you get your lineset from Mel Lancester or Pete Swan.

Bernie Sanders for President 2016

ya, and I also know a guy who bought a sabre 2 170 and had all sorts of problems as well.

I also know a guy who bought a Xaos and now he is amputated.

Shit is made of strings and fabric, not every company out there makes perfect canopy every time.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

yes, pd has a funny way of doing things. my friend bought an in stock canopy from them through chutingstar in deland. the canopy was at the factory, maybe a mile away, but he couldn't pick it up himself, and they wouldn't deliver it that day because they do deliveries twice a week and that's it. they ended up shipping it to zhills because we were headed there.

i had ordered a canopy from them december, but it was delayed due to a problem with their supply of white fabric. once i finally got the story out of them about it, i asked for the white fabric to be removed so i could still get the canopy for my spring trip south. it wasn't ready for me when i got there, and even though someone (chuting star or pd) had been holding my money since december (this was now in march) i had to rent a canopy so i had something to jump. i would have thought they could have waived the rental fee, but no dice. >:(

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I asked PD for a Vectran reline on a Sabre2 150 a while back and initially they resisted the idea but eventually relented. I assume the issue comes down to whether or not they are confident that enough R&D has been done to say a specific line type or RDS will work with a specific canopy.