MikeyMS

Rig that has a cargo compartment

Hey all,

Several years ago, I remember seeing a rig for sale that allegedly had some kind of cargo compartment piggybacking on the inside of the rig. It was intended to be able to carry a small amount of supplies during a jump. I have done a few jumps in AZ and CA with my military gear bag laced between my leg straps similar to a ruck and have spent the night out in the sticks, so I am curious about this rig. At the time, I didn't think anything of it because I wasn't a licensed jumper.

I might be totally confusing this with something else; does anyone know of a skydiving rig that double-functions with a compartment for cargo? I have been thinking about the engineering behind this and can't really decide if what I think I saw is feasible.

I know this is a fringe post but it has been bothering me and I was wondering if any of ya'll have heard of anything like this.

- M

I don't know what you saw. I've built some things like this for base jumping. I don't know how much shit you want to carry or how often you do it. Over the years I've done it a lot of ways from large belly pack to turning around full size back packs on my chest. You'd be amazed how much shit you can carry even just in your pockets and wrapped around your body under a jacket.

One thing you might look at is picking up an older rig with adjustable laterals. You don't see them any more but it really lets you open up the rig so you can wear a lot of shit under it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Remotely related:
A million years ago main parachute D bags used to have a tiny rubber band pocket sewed onto them with a Velcro closure. I added them on every rig I have owned thru the years, and they are very handy. I just holds three or four rubber bands. If you are packing and need a rubber band quickly - just grab one from the little pocket. I didn't invent this idea; just copied it. I have used it for decades.

Some older javelins I know had a velcro closed big pocket on the outside of the back part of the rig, meant for lead. Bringing something else flattish, like an extra AAD on a jump for testing purposes, was also an option.
Is that what you mean?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Also consider how much weigh you want to carry. If you only add a stash bag or sleeping bag, your weight increase will be insignificant. OTOH if you add enough camping gear to sleep out overnight (20 to 30 pounds) you should seriously consider large canopies to keep your landings soft. For example, military jumpers who routinely jump rucksacks filled with 100 pounds ... cough... cough ... of "light weight, go fast gear" plus rucksack, plus rifle, plus snowshoes, etc. jump canopies in the tandem size range (330 to 400 square foot range) and when they jump 500 pound bundles, they jump 500 square foot canopies.

i just take out the reserve and use that as a gear stash spot. never saw the point of carrying around 2 canopies anyways. now i have a place for my 6 pack and crack pipe.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

dragon2

Some older javelins I know had a velcro closed big pocket on the outside of the back part of the rig, meant for lead. Bringing something else flattish, like an extra AAD on a jump for testing purposes, was also an option.
Is that what you mean?

Back during the 1990s, a variety of competitors used weight belts or weight pockets to adjust their fall rates relative to team mates. I have sewn weight pockets into the main containers, back pads and 3-ring covers of Talons and Racers.
Whether you wear weights high (reserve container) or low (main container) depends upon how you want to modify your balance ... head high or head low.
A few skydivers even wore ankle weights borrowed from scuba divers. Hah!
Hah!
I just recently sewed a weight belt for a medium-sized woman. I advised her to wear it outside her jumpsuit because we jump so close to the Fraser River.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Did a little more research.

I've jumped 100lb rucks/loads but that was with a 370sqft canopy. I was looking for something that I could possibly jump with 20 pounds or so with. Looking like my best bet is to just do it with a larger canopy.