petemac

New Sigma 2 - 340 Rear Suspension Line Spliced Together

I just opened a brand new 340 to have a look. If you check closely you can see the vectran line passes inside so I believe that the spectra on the outside may be to protect the line against wear. I'm not sure how the shrinkage of spectra affects this but you can bet it was well tested before going into production.

-Michael

Hi Michael,

Yeah, should have said sleeved rather than splice probably.
Interestingly it the inside lines rather than the outside ones that are wearing.

Not worried about it more than interested in reasoning for it. Most guys don't or can't reach the slider collapse cords, I wonder it that effects the long term wear\life of the line set.

~ Pete Mac

petemac

Hi,

Why has PD spliced two different line materials at the bottom of the rear centre lines on the Sigma 2 - 340.

The centre C lines tend to be the first to break on the vectran lined Sigmas (seen it a bunch of times). Possibly due to the slider flapping all the way to the ground wearing out the line.
What you see is not actually a splice but a sheath of Spectra over the Vectran line. Vectran provides the dimensional stability and the Spectra is slippery to combat the friction wear.
Anyone remember the sacrificial attachment on the Dacron linesets? Also UPT used to use a Vectran/Spectra composite drogue kill line for similar reasons.

Disclaimer: All the above is from my own powers of deductive reasoning and not actual official knowledge of manufacturer practices.

For the benefit of the community here is what UPT told me:

The teflon sheathing on the new Sigma main canopies is added to help extend the life of the lines, in particular the center C lines.

We have over time seen some accelerated wear in this area, especially when the main sliders are not collapsed as intended. This addition is part of an ongoing development of the Sigma system, to help extend the overall life of the components.

Poor Ken probably gets tired of me asking these types of questions but the manufacturer really is the best source of authoritative answers on these things. Now we all know as will future searchers.

-Michael

betzilla

anybody got a photo they can post? I almost never see sigmas in my current job, and would like to get a visual on how this is put together...

Thanks!

Look again. The OP included photos.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

ah. The links weren't working when I first clicked them. Now they are.

back when I was a DZ rigger at a place with SG340's, were were having to replace sliders about every second reline too - the vectran was eventually dinging the grommets to the point where the stainless was actually torn (and then, in a vicious circle, the sharp edges would destroy the lines). I'd never seen anything like it before dealing with the 340s, but it was happening all across our fleet of 18 sigmas. Perhaps the Spectra will help with that problem too!