BobxMarley

Offsize Canopies

Hey DZ,

My plan is to downsize from a 190 Pulse to a 159 Safire 2. My only concern, is the fact that it might be harder to sell an off sized canopy when I'm ready to move on. Or, at least this is my assumption.

I'd like to hear the pros/cons of buying an off sized canopy. I've received some advice advising against it. The recommendation has been to either go 169 or 149 and to NOT split the difference with a 159. I'd like this thread to focus on the topic of off-sized canopies rather than turn into a conversation about "downsizing".

Thanks All!
Klaasic

Basically, the pattern for anything 150 or above seems to be in 20sqft increments. (PD: 150-170-190 / Icarus: 149-169-189/ Aerodyne: 148-168-188)

I guess to clarify, an off size would be any size that falls outside of that pattern. Basically a size that the manufacturer doesn't build for stock.
Klaasic

I don't think that is going to make the least bit of difference. PD uses the progression [107-120-135-150-170-190-210] (for their most popular 'general purpose' canopies ~ the Pilots come in [111, 124, 132, 140, 150, 168, 188, 210], I just don't think that makes a bit of difference. I just sold my Sabre2 150 and had to go up 8 ft^2 on my next canopy, and in all reality that is not going to affect wing loading enough to affect a potential buyer, even when considering wing performance and pack volume.
=========Shaun ==========

Plus, there are different methods of measuring on top of that as well... Then factor in that certain designs are WAY more aggressive than others and nit-picking over size becomes less of a concern IMO. People who know what they're looking for won't care if it's an "off-size". Back in the day I believe Icarus (?) would make you nearly any size you asked for, i.e 166, 152, 121, etc.

It's been a while but I'm sure some of those 1-off canopies are still circulating the DZs or in closets somewhere.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Plus, there are different methods of measuring on top of that as well...

+1, very good point. Along those same lines, I think there are at least 3 methods (2 of which I can think of off the top of my head) of measuring pack volume. I know PD uses one, there is the PIA cylinder method, etc.
=========Shaun ==========

mattjw916

Back in the day I believe Icarus (?) would make you nearly any size you asked for, i.e 166, 152, 121, etc.

They still do, to include fractional sizes. I own an Icarus Omni 183.5 and an Icarus Omni 178.5.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving