jws3

Shortening a Chest Strap

So you guys are arguing the toss about wording which is to a large part irrelevant.

Whether an exact measurement for a chest strap or even leg straps is specified by a manufacturer (and it probably isn't because the harness's are usually adjusted by the manufacturer to the meet the customers size).

If the FAA says its a major repair/alteration then it probably is so. If you ask the manufacturer I'm sure that almost all will probably concur with this and say its a major repair /alteration and hence master rigger ticket.

Find me a manufacturer that will say its ok for senior riggers to do harness work. Such as adjusting the length of legstraps/cheststraps/laterals/MLW. I wont be holding my breath on that one.

skytribe

So you guys are arguing the toss about wording which is to a large part irrelevant.

It is not irrelevant even for master riggers. If it is a repair, I can just do it. If it is an alteration to a TSO'd component, I must get permission -- and that can be a lengthy process.

Mark

I'm enjoying the exchange only because the details coming out are educational. The clarification on how to interpret something as being an alteration or repair is also touched upon in 105-2E.

PARACHUTE ALTERATIONS.
a.
Configuration.
Alterations are changes to a parachute system configuration that the manufacturer or the manufacturer’s supervising FAA
Aircraft Certification Office (ACO) has not approved. Examples include removing a deployment device from a reserve canopy, adding
harness fittings to permit attaching an additional canopy, using nonstandard repair materials or
techniques, or installation of a specific make/model AAD when the manufacturer has not
authorized such changes. Changes that result in an approved configuration are considered repairs
(see paragraph 15).

-Michael

Why would you choose to interpret "configuration" to mean "manufactured configuration" instead of "approved configuration"?
Because mains do not have to be approved.

Why would you choose to interpret "configuration" to mean "manufactured configuration" instead of "designed configuration?"

And specifically with respect to chest straps, which manufacturers specify exact lengths as opposed to a range of lengths?

The definition is all inclusive of every type of alteration, whether it be a chest strap, a bridal, a pilot chute...you name it.

The item in question may or may not have a design per se or an approval, but it would have been at least "manufactured".

Not spending any more time on this as I see it as a moot point anyway, but the questions in the FAA test did have the word "manufactured" in the question at one time.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com