that_guy

Rigging/ Harness rebuild average time/cost?

I am interested in getting some ideas as far as numbers go for man hours and or possible labor averages.

I am in the market for a used container or rig right now and I am running into what must be a common problem of trying to find a container that will hold the canopy i want and also have a harness that roughly fits me. I am 6'1" and 180. I have found several containers that will hold either a 210 which is what im currently flying or a 190 which in a few months i could likely downsize to.

What im interested in is what it would cost to have the harness and leg straps re-done and fitted to me? I'm to the point that im starting to just consider buying a brand new container thats already fitted to me and then just going with used canopies.

advice?

Used container + harness resize is much cheaper and faster than all new. I had my Vector harness resized and new leg straps for $550 including shipping done in 5 weeks, and they could've done it faster (I didn't need it faster; I told them what I needed and got exactly that).

Get help from a rigger to measure measure measure you according to the manufacturers directions, and to give an opinion on if the rig will be a good fit afterwards.

My understanding is that a harness resize changes length-type fit issues, so you'll want to be sure the yoke (width across shoulders) fits your body well. Also check around for direct experiences with manufacturers, some are great (United Sports Technologies - makes Vector rigs, and Velocity Sports Equipment - make Infinity rigs), some are absolutely not helpful.

What im interested in is what it would cost to have the harness and leg straps re-done and fitted to me? I'm to the point that im starting to just consider buying a brand new container thats already fitted to me and then just going with used canopies.

I'm shooting from recent estimates of work I have sent to various Manufacturers (UPT, Sunpath, and Jumpshack) and the work you are describing is going to run between $350-$425, depending on things like articulation and manufacturer. Most Master Riggers I know will do the same for $400-range.
=========Shaun ==========

thanks for the replies so far. From what ive seen of used containers, most that are close to fitting me are at around $1k + or - a few hundred.

I can get a brand new wings for about 1800 or a new infinity for 2k. I am still very much open to buying used gear. I will continue my search for now. Thanks again!!

Cost varies widely depending upon how much your body size differs from that of the original owner.
Hip and chest rings can vastly simify the process, since the rigger only has to replace one or two pieces of webbing.
The cheapest is a longer chest strap.

Again, start by asking your local rigger to measure you according to the harness manufacturer's order form. It is impossible to self-measure accurately.
FAX that order form to the factory with a letter attached. Ask the factory how the harness should be modified to fit you perfectly and ask for a quote for the factory to re-size the harness. Then show that response to your local master rigger and ask him/her if they can do the sewing quicker or cheaper.

riggerrob

Cost varies widely depending upon how much your body size differs from that of the original owner.
Hip and chest rings can vastly simify the process, since the rigger only has to replace one or two pieces of webbing.
The cheapest is a longer chest strap.

Again, start by asking your local rigger to measure you according to the harness manufacturer's order form. It is impossible to self-measure accurately.
FAX that order form to the factory with a letter attached. Ask the factory how the harness should be modified to fit you perfectly and ask for a quote for the factory to re-size the harness. Then show that response to your local master rigger and ask him/her if they can do the sewing quicker or cheaper.

Thanks!! great advice. I will get with my rigger this weekend and have him measure me so i can have more info to work with. He has a decent container that holds the canopies i want to fly for now but it is rigged for a much smaller person and wont fit me currently. Maybe i can get a sweet deal on it and just have the harness redone.

He has a decent container that holds the canopies i want to fly for now but it is rigged for a much smaller person and wont fit me currently. Maybe i can get a sweet deal on it and just have the harness redone.

If the harness was made for a much smaller person, you should know that the yoke size can't be resized . Or it can, but it will cost you as much as a new rig.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

that_guy

thanks for the replies so far. From what ive seen of used containers, most that are close to fitting me are at around $1k + or - a few hundred.

I can get a brand new wings for about 1800 or a new infinity for 2k. I am still very much open to buying used gear. I will continue my search for now. Thanks again!!

if you go new, and those are your choices, get the infinity. worth way more than the $200 difference.B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

that_guy

I am 6'1" and 180. I have found several containers that will hold either a 210 which is what im currently flying or a 190 which in a few months i could likely downsize to.

advice?

My advice is have just a little bit of patience. At that size and wanting that range of canopies you are in the sweet spot. Something will come up relatively quickly. Ask around, call dealers, etc.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I want to throw something out there - call the manufacturer. If cost is an issue, many (I can speak for some, not all) manufacturers will cut a few hundred dollars off the cost of a new rig if the rig is ordered with no or minimal options and in all black. I can think of 3 (4, if you count the template designs from Aerodyne) that have done this recently.
=========Shaun ==========