Question on Navy 26 Conical reserve data panel

Hard to toss a canopy that saved your life, so I have hung onto my 26 ft conical long after it became (arguably) obsolete. Last night I pulled it out and looked it over. In addition to the military data it has a stamp from Perry Stevens's Stevens Paraloft. Is this a TSO? Or? What was done to the stock Navy canopy? Just curious. I'm
not a rigger. See photos attached.

Perry Stevens taught me how to skydive in 1968 at age 18. I still jump and hope to continue for many more years.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Yes, this is the modification stamp.
That's back so long ago that the FAA had certified lofts.

In all likelihood, the "mod" is a "single T". (Although maybe not, as the certification "stamp panel" is still intact.)

It may be cut all the way down to the lower lateral band-skirt; or it may have what was called a "Mitchell Lip" (mod cut about 6 or 7 inches above the skirt.)

If you want to know, post a picture of the "mod". Yup, back in the day.

Thanks. I'll post a picture of the vent mod next week when I am back home. It's wonderful that the guys who know the old gear are still in the game. Those ancient D numbers give you away. ;)

The only spot on pea gravel dead center I ever got on a round was on that 26 conical after a cutaway over Pope Valley. Needless to say back in the day I wasn't so good at accuracy, or RW, or really anything, but I was a safe jumper... and nobody loved the sport more than I did.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hi Peter,

An old timer will know...

You called . . . B|

One thing to consider is that the canopy may have been rotated a gore or two to keep the data panel intact. I have seen that done in the past. Since the canopy is absolutely symmetrical, it will have no effect on deployment or function in the air.

Let's see the mod photos,

Jerry Baumchen
'An old timer'

it is known as an FAA PMA(Parts Manufacturing Authorization). it was required for reserves to be modified(legally). By the way the very first PMA for modifying a reserve was obtained by The Chute Shop(later known as north american aerodynamics) NOTE: this was an after market mod if you will. the very first steerable reserve(TSO"D) was the Security 26' LoPo

Hi dirt,

it is known as an FAA PMA(Parts Manufacturing Authorization). it was required for reserves to be modified(legally).

There are other ways to get FAA approval. Mine was simply a submittal & approval from the local FSDO; usually known as a Field Approval.

To the best of my knowledge, a PMA is to actually manufacture products; not for mods. The only one that I have ever heard of in the parachute industry was when Steve Snyder obtained a PMA for his chest parachute Sentinel ripcord.

Jerry Baumchen

I rode a 26-foot navy conical with the four line release modification to the ground . back in the day. B| and also a 26-foot strong lo po. give me the Lo po any day:)

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .