IHazySky

#4 vs #5 grommet on deployment bag

Both #4 and #5 grommets work well to route bridles out of sport d-bags. The difference is how much they squeeze kill-line bridles. Too much squeeze equals shorter bridle life.
Be thankful that we quit using #8 grommets.
Hah!
Hah!
Can anyone remember why we used to use #8 grommets on d-bags?

riggerrob

Both #4 and #5 grommets work well to route bridles out of sport d-bags. The difference is how much they squeeze kill-line bridles. Too much squeeze equals shorter bridle life.
Be thankful that we quit using #8 grommets.
Hah!
Hah!

Before my time. But I'm guessing the #8 grommet would allow the bag to slide down to the p/c and choke it off.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Collapsing the pilot-chute (for canopy formations) was the second function of a #8 grommet.
The first function was crown line reefing on Para-Commanders .. sort of like grabbing the tail after the horse has already run through the gate!
Hah!
Hah!
Para-Flite tried top-skin reefing on squares, but that only lasted a couple of years before they converted to bottom-skin reefing and eventually slider reefing.

#4's for the bridle exit is fine? I have seen them used, but other use 5's. Why use 5's vs 4's?

Lord and Hodge will sell Mil-20230 compliant insertion dies and punches for ~$45 each, I use their stuff for all sizes (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8), I think they have a leg up on quality compared to CS Osborne but not as good as the SS Stimpson stuff. Just my opinion.

I've been a big fan of #4, although I recently helped install a killline PC/bridle assembly that was an absolute bear to fit the end through a #4, and really should have had a #5. I wish I could remember the manufacturer.
=========Shaun ==========

you should use a number 4 if you want the option to use a 'no hardware' bridle/PC like UPT's. The number 5 grommet will be just big enough that as the tape that the stopper is made of softens up, it may allow the bag to slip over it and slide down the bridle to the PC.

gowlerk

Before my time. But I'm guessing the #8 grommet would allow the bag to slide down to the p/c and choke it off.

That might have been a reason at some point but #8 grommets were used on some bags before there were hand deploy pilot chutes. Of course a spring-launched pilot chute would not collapse regardless of the grommet size...