Absolut

Canopy recovery system

No I would not. When I balance the cost against the odds of losing the canopy I would choose to self insure. Canopies do get lost, but only infrequently.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Some of the other options, such as the "tiles" and such, provide less capability/distance from the target, but they're a lot less expensive and have no recurring cost and no need for cell service to be present.

I would also want to know if there is any mechanism for the activation cable to possibly be trapped/stuck. Of course I would think that has already been considered, but I'd want to know more.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Repost from next door thread. >:(

The one George Galloway tried to sell based on radio tracking equipment from falconry didn't sell. I don't see this making it for several reasons. Complexity, cost, continuing cost and as mentioned in other thread if company goes bust you've got a worthless investment.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

When you lose a main you wish that you had one but it's not a good cost/benefit proposition. Unfortunately I feel that many of these items are a waste of time and money.

In fact a more effective solution would be to have/attend an advanced packing course every couple years to make sure you're not getting sloppy and subsequently reduce your chance of a mal anyway...

-Michael

if we pay money and they don't reach their goal would we GetItBack? haha get it.

But seriously this looks like a really good idea cause it's small and only activates in a cutaway, I thought it was gonna be like some big battery thing. If it is gonna be $200 per unit I could see it working.

just imagine you are traveling and have a cutaway the morning of the day of your flight. Would be nice to be able to find it quick

That's exactly the problem i have with this device. It's just not worth it. Even if you have a cutaway, chances are pretty high that you will find your canopy as long as it's out of the bag, if not that's the time you wished you had this installed :-) plus i'm still not sure how this thing interacts with your everyday jumping, how about dirt, lying the rig on the ground while packing and applying pressure on the unit and so on. Don't really see it being a thing.

Of the "tile" type trackers, I'm hoping that Stone Tether can deliver on their promised capabilitites.

https://stonetether.com/

They had a Kick Starter last year and were projecting delivery in the spring of this year, but it looks like they won't be shipping until later this month. (FYI, "tile" type trackers are small (~1 inch square) things you attach to an item, and they emit a signal that can be picked up via a smart phone.)

I like the Stone Tether best for a number of reasons.

Cost: $25 (about the same as other tiles)
User replaceable battery lasts about a year. (the other tiles you discard when battery dies)
Range: up to 500 ft. (Others are only 100-150 ft)

Just sew a little pocket onto your d-bag, put it in, and remember to change the battery once a year.

500 ft (or even 300 ft) range would be adequate (if they can actually deliver a product that has that range). If you know generally where it is, a small search party with smart phones should be able to find it in one sweep of an area.

So, *Assuming they deliver a product that is close to that they promised*, the cost is very reasonable and the range is adequate for the task.

Hopefully I'll have one in a few weeks, and will report of what I find about it's capabilities.

Hey Sundevil! My name is Brendan Pope, I'm one of the inventors of the Get It Back.

I would also want to know if there is any mechanism for the activation cable to possibly be trapped/stuck. Of course I would think that has already been considered, but I'd want to know more.

We don't think there is. We've been working with a number of Master Riggers throughout the development of this device, including Jerry who I see already responded to your post.

The activation lanyard isn't attached to anything in the riser; it slides through the battery back extremely easily and there's nothing for it to get snagged on. If someone is concerned about a hang-up being a possibility, we are offering the option of attaching the activation lanyard to the container with a c-clip, similar to what attaches your RSL. This would allow you to quickly disconnect the activation lanyard if you needed to.

Feel free to ask me any more questions if you have them!

Hey chemist! I'm Brendan Pope, one of the inventors of the Get It Back.

if we pay money and they don't reach their goal would we GetItBack?

We're raising funds for production from a variety of difference sources, only one of which is Indiegogo. We're also working on some large bulk orders from franchise dropzones and military suppliers, and those won't show up on our Indiegogo page. As soon as our Indiegogo campaign ends, we will continue taking pre-orders on our website until we have the funds needed (although we won't be offering quite as steep discounts as we are on Indiegogo).

If it turns out that we cannot raise the funds to go to production from all of our different sources, all of our Indiegogo backers will receive a refund minus 5% for the fees we lose.

If it is gonna be $200 per unit I could see it working.

The final retail price will be $169, and $99/year for the subscription. However, it's a LOT cheaper than that if you back us on Indiegogo! :)