3 3
metaxzen

N3 Log Data Alternatives?

Are there any alternatives to using paralog for getting at my N3 altimeter data? I'd ideally like it as .csv so I could do my own charts and graphs but I seem to be running into a road block of pulling data off it.

I have updated the drivers and synced the device with my pc. I got acknowledgment from the unregistered paralog that it looked like the connection was healthy.

Any tips for pulling my log info?

metaxzen

Are there any alternatives to using paralog for getting at my N3 altimeter data? I'd ideally like it as .csv so I could do my own charts and graphs but I seem to be running into a road block of pulling data off it.

I have updated the drivers and synced the device with my pc. I got acknowledgment from the unregistered paralog that it looked like the connection was healthy.

Any tips for pulling my log info?

Alti-2's protocol for comunicating with N2 or N3 is not open.

There used to be some reverse engineering project for N2 around.

I have paralog and it is working fine.

today i wrote them an email, saying they can go FUCK themselves and that i would steer anyone that listens away from buying an N3.

FUCK YOU alti-2!

should of gotten a visio and be done with it.

i'm pissed off to NO END!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Your chief complaint, as I understand it, is the requirement for purchase of a third party software product to view, export, and otherwise use the 2500 Jump Summary Logs to your liking. You are not the first one we have heard from in this regard recently, although yours was certainly the most artistic.

This pattern showed that customers purchasing our electronic altimeters with a logging feature were not being properly informed. I sent an email out to all of our Dealers on 8/11/2015 to ensure their customers understood this requirement thoroughly.

Before our proprietary Neptune Maintenance Utility (NMU) became embedded in a third party product, it allowed users to connect their device to their computer to perform custom configurations to their device and back-up their summary logs. Viewing, exporting, and otherwise using the log data was never possible with NMU. This became possible through compatibility with a third party software product shortly after release of the original Neptune.

There are good reasons why our product firmware architecture is closed (not writable by the end-user). This information has been available in our product forums since March of 2008.

The third party software requirement information has been available in several places long before your complaint:

-The back of Atlas and N3 packaging points potential customers to the Product Pages on our website for a detailed description of the product.

-Visit these pages (Atlas N3) and you will find clearly stated that downloading jump log data to a computer requires an additional purchase.

-There is also a hyperlink on the third party logbook software page (Alti-2 website) that points to the forum post I referred to above.

-The User Manual (Atlas N3) for these products clearly states that summary log data cannot be viewed on the device nor through NMU.

My point – there are not only good reasons for this long-standing methodology, but the information is and has been available from multiple sources. Now – thanks to you – it is also available here.

Regardless, I am happy that you found an altimeter solution that works for you, even if it’s not one of ours. In the end, that’s what really matters. Blue skies and safe landings . . .
Alti-2, Inc. Staff

Sorry but I go on this discusion because I have another problem to be submitted. How long it takes to Alti 2 to fix Ruggedized N3? Last year it takes 9 months to have them back, this year it is already 5 months since they have been shipped and your UK facility is unable to give any feed back us. They just say, "we e-mail the US"...... This is not serious at all.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

John,

I understand your safety reasoning about avoid corrupting the alti software. I do use Paralog and it's a great piece of Software.

I've been in your forums before and was the person to suggest the definitive fix for the compatibility with Mac OS Yosemite.

http://www.alti-2.com/showthread.php?1429-Mac-OSX-v10-10-(Yosemite)-lt-gt-Altimaster-USB-Driver-Compatibility-Issue&p=3978#post3978

As a Software Engineer, I have to agree with the OP that Alti2 should allow exporting the data in the simplest format, i.e., a csv file that can be imported to a spreadsheet software like Excel. Given that the protocol and drivers already exists and that they are not part of Paralog, I doubt this would really be an expensive work to do or maintain. And I also think most people that bother to do that will still buy Paralog for its extra functionalities anyway.

Alti2_Staff

Your chief complaint, as I understand it, is the requirement for purchase of a third party software product to view, export, and otherwise use the 2500 Jump Summary Logs to your liking. You are not the first one we have heard from in this regard recently, although yours was certainly the most artistic.

This pattern showed that customers purchasing our electronic altimeters with a logging feature were not being properly informed. I sent an email out to all of our Dealers on 8/11/2015 to ensure their customers understood this requirement thoroughly.

Before our proprietary Neptune Maintenance Utility (NMU) became embedded in a third party product, it allowed users to connect their device to their computer to perform custom configurations to their device and back-up their summary logs. Viewing, exporting, and otherwise using the log data was never possible with NMU. This became possible through compatibility with a third party software product shortly after release of the original Neptune.

There are good reasons why our product firmware architecture is closed (not writable by the end-user). This information has been available in our product forums since March of 2008.

The third party software requirement information has been available in several places long before your complaint:

-The back of Atlas and N3 packaging points potential customers to the Product Pages on our website for a detailed description of the product.

-Visit these pages (Atlas N3) and you will find clearly stated that downloading jump log data to a computer requires an additional purchase.

-There is also a hyperlink on the third party logbook software page (Alti-2 website) that points to the forum post I referred to above.

-The User Manual (Atlas N3) for these products clearly states that summary log data cannot be viewed on the device nor through NMU.

My point – there are not only good reasons for this long-standing methodology, but the information is and has been available from multiple sources. Now – thanks to you – it is also available here.

Regardless, I am happy that you found an altimeter solution that works for you, even if it’s not one of ours. In the end, that’s what really matters. Blue skies and safe landings . . .

look, dipshit, has it maybe fled your memory that the N3 was a LONG time available before paralog had to be purchased separately? if not, here's your reminder.

and as for artistic. i think it's been about a week ago i've sent that email. NO reply as of yet. GREAT support. i cant be bothered hacking around on that small piece of shit when i can do it on my computer.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

At first the reason for not allowing export of data was, that Alti2 was to busy and didn't have enough resources to develop something of their own. But I'm sure that many developers would we happy to develop software for exporting jumps (myself included). As for managing jumps there are a lot of alternatives for Paralog, that are equally good and free. So I really don't see a reason, why the specs for communication with the device are not open.

Could you list the good reasons why the firmware is closed?
http://www.prostipad.si

Alti2_Staff

That thread states that it would be too costly to develop something from scratch. Really? You already had the NMU. Which could read and write airport and aircraft data. Adding an export function to that can't cost more than a whole Paralog license.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Paralog software, and bought v5 for 70€ and upgraded to v7 for 40€, but it seems a bit too much to pay 40€ again for the same features that were in the previous version.

About 1 year ago you said that you would look into the idea of free export software. What happened to that?

It was in this thread:
http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/Digital_or_Analog_Altimeter_1042.html
http://www.prostipad.si

I did look into it, and became educated as to why we are set up as we are. Roger's post from 2008 is a good summary.

I then learned about some proprietary details that add to the level of complexity for such a change with these devices. I am not at liberty to discuss those, but once I had the complete picture I realized the idea was not a practical fit with current products.

What the future brings remains to be seen.
Alti-2, Inc. Staff

On 9/2/2015 at 8:07 AM, coticj said:

As for managing jumps there are a lot of alternatives for Paralog, that are equally good and free.

Could you list the good reasons why the firmware is closed?

Sorry to resurrect a 5+ year old thread, but I'm trying to pull my jumps off of my N3 right now.  In the past, I used Paralog when it was a standalone third-party app and even paid for it.  It appears that Alti-2 has acquired Paralog.  I have tried to install the  Paralog/NMU 8.7.3 in addition to the AltiMasterUSBDrivers         

My machine (Windows 10 Home) is saying that the driver is "unavailable."  I have tried removing and reinstalling it to no avail.

All of this is the long way of asking what the "alternative" programs there are, if any are still available.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, IanHarrop said:

I am unfamiliar with any need to install specific drivers for your N3 to connect to Paralog. Paralog and Alti-2 are separate organizations

https://www.alti-2.com/paralog

So I've tried it with and without the driver and cannot get the N3 to connect to the computer. Regardless of whether I have the driver installed or not, I get the attached message under my settings:

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to pull my jump data off of this device?

N3 driver is unavailable.PNG

On 1/15/2021 at 7:40 PM, sendy said:

So I've tried it with and without the driver and cannot get the N3 to connect to the computer. Regardless of whether I have the driver installed or not, I get the attached message under my settings:

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to pull my jump data off of this device?

N3 driver is unavailable.PNG

I also cannot get my N3 to connect to my Windows 10 computer.

I took a 5 year break and just unpacked all my gear to get started again :-). I just need to see how this gear works, syncs and test it all :-).

I hope my Ali-2 N3 is still usable and can be synced with some software. Otherwise I will need to by a new one but then have no clue what would be the best one today.

Thanks

I took a 5 year break and just unpacked all my gear to get started again :-). I just need to see how this gear works, syncs and test it all :-).

I hope my Ali-2 N3 is still usable and can be synced with some software. Otherwise I will need to by a new one but then have no clue what would be the best one today.

Thanks

On 9/26/2021 at 7:50 PM, Bestkiter said:

Thanks

I just bought new windows 10 computer and after reinstalling 

paralog I am having the same problem It will not locate or install drivers for my neptune 3