chemist

lifespan for an epicine canopy??

So I am thinking of getting an epicine for wingsuiting as I have been pretty impressed with the quality of the squirrel suits (they fly like a dream), so I have confidence that quality engineering has transferred over into their canopies.

Big downside of course is the lifespan, I don't want to have a separate rig for wingsuiting since it's actually easier to put a wingsuit on a rig than it is to travel with 2 rigs.

Squirrel simply says 'it depends on many factors' how long your canopy lasts. So are we looking at 600-700 jumps, or over 1000+ range?

chemist

So I am thinking of getting an epicine for wingsuiting as I have been pretty impressed with the quality of the squirrel suits (they fly like a dream), so I have confidence that quality engineering has transferred over into their canopies.

Big downside of course is the lifespan, I don't want to have a separate rig for wingsuiting since it's actually easier to put a wingsuit on a rig than it is to travel with 2 rigs.

Squirrel simply says 'it depends on many factors' how long your canopy lasts. So are we looking at 600-700 jumps, or over 1000+ range?

Some says if you jump something which is newer than 5 years you are a test jumper.

Well the lifespan is not really a huge concern I suppose it is all relative... I guess I'm just looking for peoples reviews on it to see if the reduced lifespan is worth it

If I get a 150 pilot instead I'm more likely to keep my old rig for longer for wingsuit and thus can't sell it. If I get the epicine I may be able to have a free fly and ws rig in one, being able to sell my old rig

small canopies are cooler than small rigs... :D

You don't need a huge canopy for wing suiting really. One size give or take is not going to make as big of a difference as the decisions you make while under it IMO.

I'd rather have a canopy with more range like a Storm than something that probably lands like a reserve and has the lifespan of the F111 canopies of yesteryear.

My Sabre 1 makes an outstanding wingsuit canopy and only set me back $600. My $0.02. ;)

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

OK OK Chemist - I'm going to ask a question that has been bugging the bajeses out of me about the Epicine canopy. If I am being naive, please, please somebody put me in my place.

[rant]
I don't get it. The Epicine is a 0-3cfm 9-cell main canopy tailored to the needs of Wingsuiters. It also retails for (?) $2200. Why not call Flight Concepts, and buy a classic 9-cell canopy for $800, and if needs be, modify the slider for the appropriate openings? Are there design features so out-of-this world that it justifies an additional $1000?
=========Shaun ==========

Bealio

*********The Epicine is a 0-3cfm 9-cell main canopy

*7-cell

It's made from low bulk fabric

From the squirrel website:

"Porcher Sport PN9 is the highest quality low-bulk 0-3cfm material available"

Yes, low-bulk

It packs ~2 sizes smaller than equivalent ZP. Meaning you don't have to have two containers if you want a much bigger canopy for wingsuiting.