Nicknero1405

Looking for a good helmet with Gopro mount. Advice?

Coming back once again after a while, like to let you guys know that I have my helmet now. It's the Cookie Fuel one. And I quite like it! It fits good and it comes with 3 optional mount places. On either sides and on top. So it's a really nice helmet with future upgrade options. And yes, you can also replace the chin band with a cutaway system which I will do at the same time as when I get my camera.

Meanwhile I also have my custom made Bevsuit Competition Jumpsuit order out and it will be done by 31th of July.

I also bought a simple cheap RT60 analog alti-meter which is the same one as you can loan at our local dropzone and used during my AFF.

To top it all off, I've also been busy with our local Parachute Case to get my own first rig. Last week I reached 25 jumps which means I can now fly a category 2 canopy. So I'm getting a good rig with a 210 main and the option to downsize to 190 after a minimum of 100 jumps.

So I guess you could say I'm well on my way with this stuff. Maybe even too fast. But honestly, in the end it saves me a lot of money from gear rentals. And I'm happy with my decisions, so we'll keep it at that.

Squeak

***Have a look at a new design by a Frenchman, on skyvisionpara.com. The camera is completely inside the helmet.
I have one since last month, it's brilliant.
It is designed specifically for the GoPro 3 and 4 series.

It's about friggin time some helmet folks built that. Very long overdue.

Any bets on how long until someone sticks one of the GoPro VHB mounts on top of the encased one, you know, for stills?

elreg

Have a look at a new design by a Frenchman, on skyvisionpara.com. The camera is completely inside the helmet.

That's really awesome, except looks like it was made on the same factory as fx helmet from square1 meaning it's awful :(

I hope someone picks up on the idea though and makes a legit camera helmet! :)

elreg

Have a look at a new design by a Frenchman, on skyvisionpara.com. The camera is completely inside the helmet.

This helmet has advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages would obviously be safety. There is no way something can get entangled with this helmet as it completely covers any "sticking out" points.

Disadvantages would obviously be that it's going to be a pain in the ass to get your camera in and out of your helmet after every jump to look at your footage. And you have no way to angle your camera if it is pointing up or down too much.

jumpwally

Slight pain in the ass vs potential dead ass........

Moving the hard camera housing inside of the helmet and closer to your dome simply changes the type of danger.

Don't hit your head!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Hello Nick,

I never, ever remove the camera from the housing (though it is easy enough to do: just scratches). I purchased a USB cable that is permanently latched to the camera and remains coiled in the helmet (left ear). And I use the wireless control to operate the camera in flight.
Before take off, I can activate the bluetooth function of the camera without taking it out, from then on, all I do is with the remote control. That said, there is access to both buttons just as you have on the standard GoPro case, so if the remote does not work, you can still press both buttons without taking the helmet off.
Once I have landed and I want to debrief my student, I just put the helmet near the computer, pull out the cable, and do my things. Incidentally, that is also how I reload the battery.
By the way, the top of the helmet is completely flat, on purpose, to accommodate other mounts. So putting the camera head down on the table ensures it is perfectly stable (no rollover).
As for the angle of the camera, this is a non issue. The camera looks at where you are looking, end of story. Before I got this helmet, I used an outside mount on a Gath helmet. It took me some time to figure out the best angle (full down, as it were), but from then on, I never thought about changing it. I film exists (static line), RW teams, and my own landings (accuracy), which accounts for three pretty different contexts, camera wise. Yet there is no reason whatsoever to change the angle in view of this or that kind of exercise.
So the basic idea is this: the camera is set to look where you are looking, period. It works.