xijonix

Looking for some insight on my next canopy

Hey all,

I've put my last 400 jump on SA2-170s and 150s and I'm trying to decide on what canopies I should demo for my next one. I definitely want to get further into high performance landing so I'm thinking looking at a stiletto, katana, or something similar. I'm currently doing mostly double front approaches but I want something that I can spend a good number of jumps under and get the most out of its performance potential. Should I consider a smaller sabre 2 like a 135 or should I find a higher performance 150ish.

xijonix

Hey all,

I've put my last 400 jump on SA2-170s and 150s and I'm trying to decide on what canopies I should demo for my next one. I definitely want to get further into high performance landing so I'm thinking looking at a stiletto, katana, or something similar. I'm currently doing mostly double front approaches but I want something that I can spend a good number of jumps under and get the most out of its performance potential. Should I consider a smaller sabre 2 like a 135 or should I find a higher performance 150ish.

For swooping I would say that Sabres are better than Stilettos. Sure, Stilettos can be snappier on turns, but the recovery arc is shorter AFAIK. People have been doing awesome swoops with Sabres, so I would go down that road. Katanas are better when highly loaded (or so I've read, I've never flown them), and are quite ground hungry, so I wouldn't consider them if I am not 100% sure.

Crossfires can be something in between, with longer recovery arc than Stilettos, but not as aggressive as Katanas, and with a little bit more responsiveness than Sabres.

There are also other manufacturers with good canopies (I've heard good things about Nitrons or Magellans for instance) that you might consider.

I have less jumps than you, so don't consider my post too seriously, others with more experience will chip in.

My opinion, take it for what its worth. If you are just starting, start on your current canopy (sabre2 150?). Sabre2's have pretty long recovery arcs. Not as long as a Katana but more than a Stiletto. I started double fronts on a Storm 190, then carving 90's on a Sabre2 170, then Sabre2 150. Now I'm working on 180's, and will be moving on to a Katana 150 before a Katana 135.

After jumping the Katana 150, I'm glad I started on my less aggressive Sabre2. But, as said, you can get pretty decent swoops out of one all things considered.

PS I hate Stilettos for swooping. The short recovery arc may prevent you from hitting as hard if you mess up, but you have to start your turn really low.

right tool for the job. Not advocating downsizing or changing platforms to something that you are not ready for but consider your goals, current skills and landings and the next steps in your progression and choose the right canopy.

You can wingsuit with a Katana but that isn't seen as a wise canopy selection. You can bust big turns on Sabres/Pilots/Saffires but that wasn't what they were designed for.

0.02c

assuming your profile is correct and up to date I personaly don't see any reason for you to downsize.

The Sabre is hands down THE perfect choice for somebody wanting to get started in swooping.

Its recovery is quite long compared to Stiletto/Pilot/Safire
its range on rears is remarkable for an intermediate canopy
you need to be very consistent to pull off nice swoops which is a very good thing to learn BEFORE you get on higher performance wings
It does have very good bail out capabilities
if flown correctly swoops like crazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MISV7GXi7qc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25aExv7YDYg

I loaded my Sabre 150 also close to 1.4 and got consistent 80+ meter swoops on low wind days doing 270s from 185m (~610 ft)
The Sabre is a very capable canopy and in my opinion pretty close performancewise to a Crossfire. At least the recovery arch is not that different, range on rears I think the SA2 wins

Why only double fronts on the 150? Have you tried 90/180/270s up high? Have you tried bringing them down to the ground on the 150? Do you use your rears, do you know what they are capable of? Do you have any idea of the 'performance potential' of your current canopy? You sound like you could use some coaching instead of a new canopy

If you want to explore a new sea, why using a new ship you are not familiar with instead of the old and proven one that is equally capable?

if you're not swooping the shit out of your sabre please don't even consider a Katana. Xfires might be just a small step, Katanas are a completely different level (or at least can be flown at).
And IMHO 100 jumps a year are nowhere near enough to either jump a Katana or start serious swooping
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

To the OP: Kudos for taking the time to ask the question.

Talk it through with a qualified canopy coach, go through your current landings and goals ( as well as currency, training plan, etc) to determine what the best approach will be. This way you can get a view on what a potential progression looks like, timing and the ability to improve your skills.

There is definitely a limit of what you can “safely” achieve with a Sabre 2 – particularly the sizes that you are talking about. You sound like you have a long way to go before you max out your current wing so the answer might not be what you expect

For what it is worth:
Stay on same canopy but get coaching
Then downsize same canopy
Then maybe change canopy type

Pobrause: Good info – but;
Are you saying you swoop 80+ metres with gates into wind at a WL of 1.4? Or you are using a very different way of measuring swoop distance
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus