VTmotoMike08

Argus battery drain issue

Note: please spare me the lecture about why you think the Argus is a bad gear choice. I aware of the complete history of the unit and I'm a big boy and I choose to jump it and neither my DZO or my rigger have an issue with it. Thanks.

Has anyone else experienced this and have you found a solution? I dropped my rig off for a repack and my rigger installed new batteries and turned it on. By the time it gets back to me, it is off. I then go to jump it a few days later and it won't turn on. My rigger was there (and had another Argus with him) so we opened it and installed new batteries that were confirmed working in the other unit. It still would not turn on, but I borrowed the control unit from the 2nd Argus and installed it (with my cutter and display units) to jump for the day. My Argus was scheduled to go in for its 4-year check at the next repack, so I took the cutter and display parts from the second unit and sent it along with my control unit/ battery pack to paraconcepts to get the service done.

They installed batteries and turned it on and it passed the 4 year check with no issues and powers on just fine. Prior to shipping it to me (the following day) they went to turn it on again and it would not turn on at all. So they say this indicates some type of battery drain issue.

Any ideas what it could be or how I could resolve this? I'm still waiting on a supervisor at paraconcepts to email me back, he is just returning from somewhere. I don't blame paraconcepts for anything, they have provided great customer service. I'm hoping it is not a paperweight.

I would guess that either Para-concepts will solve the problem (likely by replacing the unit with another one), or it is indeed a doorstop. Let us know how that turns out.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I would guess that either Para-concepts will solve the problem (likely by replacing the unit with another one),

Well, that would be completely unexpected. Not that I would turn it down but I don't see how I could reasonably ask for that. What is the relationship between para-concepts and Argus? To my knowledge, para-concepts just does the 4-year checks and has no relationship with Argus because Aviacom is completely out of business.

VTmotoMike08

***I would guess that either Para-concepts will solve the problem (likely by replacing the unit with another one),

Well, that would be completely unexpected. Not that I would turn it down but I don't see how I could reasonably ask for that. What is the relationship between para-concepts and Argus? To my knowledge, para-concepts just does the 4-year checks and has no relationship with Argus because Aviacom is completely out of business.

I did not say they would replace it for free. They may have access to other units available to help you out, for a reasonable price. I would expect you to lose money on this. As you said, you understand the issues. I assume you chose to keep the orphaned product for cost saving reasons. Sometimes that won't work out as well as you hoped.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

At this point, you have done your due diligence to rule out the battery effect (trying the same batteries on a different unit) as well as the display effect (switching out).

First, section 2.2 of the Argus Manual recommends Sanyo, Energizer, Duracell, Panasonic, or Sony batteries. Dump question - are you using these high-quality batteries?

Section 3.1 is very clear that you should not jump with a blank screen. I am an argus jumper myself, and I highly recommend removing the unit if you suspect the control unit is malfunctioning.
=========Shaun ==========

I'm using energizer. I'm not jumping it with a blank screen. I switched out the control unit with a spare the my rigger fortunately had. Just heard back from paraconcepts and they said they will retest it. Apparently there is an option to send it somewhere in europe that can replace the circuit board but if that is too expensive it would make more sense to buy a different brand AAD that is still supported. Will update.

I'm using energizer. I'm not jumping it with a blank screen. I switched out the control unit with a spare the my rigger fortunately had. Just heard back from paraconcepts and they said they will retest it. Apparently there is an option to send it somewhere in europe that can replace the circuit board but if that is too expensive it would make more sense to buy a different brand AAD that is still supported. Will update.

Again, I'm an Argus Jumper myself, so please don't interpret this as criticism, but this is just the risk of jumping an AAD without manufacturer support.

Good luck bro, keep us posted.
=========Shaun ==========

Understood and agreed. I bought it several years ago for cheap when the issues came out and my cypress expired. So if I'm getting about 3 or 4 years out of an AAD I paid just a couple hundred bucks for then I'm still happy with it. Of course it would have been nice if it lasted longer but I knew the risks when I bought it. I won't spend more than a couple hundred to get it working when I could get a Mars M2 for $1000. It is surprising to see the cost of at least one part of skydiving coming down. I know cypress was like $1500 a couple years ago, but it changes with the exchange rate and now I'm seeing $1320ish.