piisfish

UPT SB on some Spectra ripcords.

Further stuff to report. The V3 that I was having trouble with came back to me for an AAD installation today. I packed it June 3 and had trouble getting a legal pull force. So I made the closing loop a little longer than I liked and sent it out into the world at 22lbs. Sure enough, today the cap was sticking out like they do when the loop is too long, and the measured force to move the pin was now 28lbs.

I opened it, installed an AAD, shortened the loop by 1/4 inch, closed it, lubed it as per the SB, and the pull force came back at 17 lbs. The ripcord is one covered by the SB and an new one is on the way. I hope to change it out before it is time for the monthly re-lube.

I still think friction from a Spectra ripcord will always be higher than that from a steel one. The temporary fix seems to be working for now.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I have always found that you have to put an inappropriate amount of force on a positive leverage system to get a 22 lb pull on a vector 3. I have also found the difference between 12 and 20 lbs is less than 1/4" on the closing loop.

-Michael

hackish

I have always found that you have to put an inappropriate amount of force on a positive leverage system to get a 22 lb pull on a vector 3. I have also found the difference between 12 and 20 lbs is less than 1/4" on the closing loop.

-Michael

I have found the same if it has a steel ripcord, especially if it has no RSL. If it has an RSL with a marine eye pin the force goes up a little. With a Spectra ripcord it goes up a lot. With one of the recalled Spectra ripcords it goes off the scale. But in that case you don't need to use a lot of leverage to close it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I packed it June 3 and had trouble getting a legal pull force

maybe something other than pay-phone cord should be used specifically with the spectra ripcords. I'm imagining a semi flexible tube of self lubricating mds or something. Metal ripcords would chew it up, but spectra might slip on it nicely. Then maybe a metal tube around that to prevent kinking?

Recently, I dislocated my right shoulder when doing a 8 way linked exit from a Skyvan (see my thread about it). When came the time to reach my hackey to open my main, I couldn't put my arm at the rear of my container, I then pull my Vector 3 blue Spectra rip cord handle and got a fast superb reserve deployment.
I took the habit to pull my reserve with two hands which I recommend, the left hand having the thumb in the D handle. It is the third times I have a total. The deployment is always perfect. The first total was due to a jumpsuit zipper which gave up in freefall, that inflated the jumpsuit and put the hackey further, the second total was due to the packer who put my hackey too near my butt. Now I make sure that the hackey is located at the other side down of my P/C pocket.
Fortunately this time, I was at a boogie where UPT Vector people were present. Greg Rau, from UPT changed my metal pin (the new ones have a harder stainless steel, are rounder and a bit more taper at the end for an easier insertion). He also changed my Spectra ripcord (which I had used for 3 totals). The new 2015 blue Spectra rip cord has a yellow tag near the pin catch. I use silicone lubricant for this ripcord and yellow cut away cable as well.
I remind that the UPT blue Spectra ripcord is made of 1000 pound line which is a bit higher than the steel cable (920 pounds). This to say that (excepted for a CREW wrap providing a possible line friction), the Spectra ripcord works well and an interessting feature is that with the bungee inside, you will not have a floating ripcord.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.