thevasc21

Colored main steering toggles?

I remember when I used to talk Static Line students down on the radio, there was one young lady who couldn't tell left from right. I made her rig have one yellow and one red toggle. "That's great... give me a little yellow, more yellow, that's good now let up on yellow....." worked a treat ;)

perhaps red on the right and lavender on the left would be better......rolls off the tongue nicely.....

Last time I ordered a pair of purple risers, they came in a really fruity lavender purple color. Would have gone nicely with pink toggles.
=========Shaun ==========

Red, in nautical terms - running lights etc. is always on the left. Green on the right. This is true worldwide. I think even on airplane running lights. To switch them would be kinda confusing for many who are familiar with the nautical and aircraft designation. Since there is no good reason to break that worldwide tradition, it would (in my opinion) be better to make the left red, the right green to accommodate those who already associate left with "port" and green to "starboard"; instead of creating another standard unique only to your dropzone.

I saw a jumper with red main toggles. I advised him that the reserve toggles are red, for a reason. With two out, if you are going to release the toggles on the main, or you want to release the toggles on the reserve, it is an opportunity to make a mistake and release one on each. Whatever color you choose on a main shouldn't be the same as on the reserve, except for the possible exception of the student steering situations described above. I'm not too keen on that either, as you would then have three red toggles on a two out.

Sheesh. What adult can't be told to pull on the right toggle or the left one? Why the need for red and green colors anyway?