MrShave

Vortex vs Infinity

Hello all. Relatively new jumper here looking to buy a new custom container (my current container, an old javelin, is about 20 years old, slightly too big for me, and really uncomfortable). I'm a conservative jumper doing mostly belly work, but want something freefly friendly in case I end up going that route. I don't see myself downsizing too fast in the near future, so I am comfortable spending the money on a new rig...

I've narrowed it down to the Vortex or the Infinity containers.
But the question I have is, what do you hate most about each container?

A couple of my current thoughts about some other rigs I've looked at:
Javelin: Is wayy to expensive for what I want out of it (about 1k more compared to the vortex/infinity).

Wings: I don't like the reserve pin closing flap. I like to ensure the reserve cable has slack in the housing, and I can only do that from the D-ring on those rigs.

Vector: Waaaayyy too long of a wait time. But in a perfect world, I would buy one.

Mirage: My rigger hates them. I dont want to piss him off by a container that he thinks is a PITA to pack/rig.

I dont really know anyone with any of the other containers out there.

Lots of people at my DZ love the Vortex. The only thing I don't care for them is that the AAD window is next to your back. I like knowing that when others give me a gear check, they can actually check the AAD. I do like the idea of magnetic riser covers, but I dont think Infinity has those.

I haven't gotten my hands on an infinity close enough to comment, but I've tried one on a few months ago... From what I remember, it was super comfortable.

So, any help would be great! I'm leaning towards the Vector due to the reviews on the DZ, and the short wait time of 6 weeks opposed to 8-10 for the infinity.

Thanks

MrShave

The aerodyne website says 12-14 weeks for the Icon.

A complete custom rig will take 12-14 weeks. But, if you choose a stock container, already built, they will build the harness to your measurements and get it all done in 4 weeks. You'll just be limited to the container colors and pattern they have on hand.

I have jumped both, but only owned an Infinity (maybe a hundred jumps on it now) and you want informed criticism, so I'll talk about that.

My only real complaint about it is that, after a Vector, the brake toggle and excess stowage is fiddly. It's not a big deal but it's annoying on back to backs when you're running to the packing shed...

The AAD under the reserve flap I actually like a little less, though it's in practice not an issue - check reserve pin, access AAD at the same time. I'm all in favour of getting a gear check on flightline but they can just ask me if my AAD is on and the etiquette here (A license jumpers aside) does not generally involve opening other people's reserve flaps unasked.

It's also not quite as comfortable as my Vector3 is but it's pretty nice. I'd choose it all day long over the Vortex2 (not that there is anything wrong with them as far as I know).
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

A couple of my current thoughts about some other rigs I've looked at:
Javelin: Is wayy to expensive for what I want out of it (about 1k more compared to the vortex/infinity).

Wings: I don't like the reserve pin closing flap. I like to ensure the reserve cable has slack in the housing, and I can only do that from the D-ring on those rigs.

Vector: Waaaayyy too long of a wait time. But in a perfect world, I would buy one.

Mirage: My rigger hates them. I dont want to piss him off by a container that he thinks is a PITA to pack/rig.

I dont really know anyone with any of the other containers out ther

You can't go wrong with any of those -
Javellin/Vector/Wings/Mirage/Racer/Infinity/Vortex/Triton/Quasar2...etc. the rigs on the market today are all safe, well made and top-tier. At this point, it's a matter of preference. All rigs made after 2003 are going to be 'freefly friendly' -

[opinion part] I think the Vortex shares many similarities to the Wings, but from what I have seen, has better workmanship. If you are concerned about the Cost, you can call Javelin and order a rig in solid black, and they will knock a few hundred dollars off.
=========Shaun ==========

If money is a concern, a beautiful rig is the Rigging Inovations Genera. http://rigginginnovations.com/Pages/Containers/Genera.aspx
In your choice I prefer the Infinity, mostly because of the totally enclosed reserve PC.
The Vortex is a very nice rig though, specially in "smaller" sizes (canopies Under 150 sq ft)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

If money is a concern, a beautiful rig is the Rigging Inovations Genera.

Ya know, I've seen the advertising for the Genera, but in my 12 years jumping, I Have never actually seen one. I'm assuming it is simply a Talon with no options and no colors?

Unstable

If money is a concern, a beautiful rig is the Rigging Inovations Genera.

Ya know, I've seen the advertising for the Genera, but in my 12 years jumping, I Have never actually seen one. I'm assuming it is simply a Talon with no options and no colors?

almost that yes indeed. I saw a couple here in Switz. Good for a first cheap rig, or for an alternate / wingsuit rig.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

MrShave

Thanks

From my limited understanding of rigging it's OK as long as you avoid the combination of certain sizes of container vs certain reserve sizes;ie avoid those combinations that say "EXTREMELY tight, requires skilled rigging" in the mirage sizing guide.

An experienced rigger might shed some light on this, as the only thing i heard when ordering my rig was to try staying away from the EXTREMELY tight combo :)

While the quality and function of these rigs may be on par, it is important for potential owners to also consider the customer service they can expect when they inevitably need to order spare parts or get some work done.

Some mfgrs are more responsive than others in that area which can make a big difference in how you feel about the rig on your back

Some mfgrs are more responsive than others in that area which can make a big difference in how you feel about the rig on your back

True! Manufacturers making jumpers go through their dealer network for spare parts, IMHO, is a huge waste of time and money.

MrShave

Then find another rigger. You are the customer. If one rigger can't take care of you because you chose to buy a certain container that's his choice. It's also your choice of who does your repacks.

A few years ago I changed riggers. I was using a rigger for repacks on my Eclipse then I picked up a second rig- a Racer. He said he would not touch my Racer. I thanked him for his honesty and have been getting both my rigs repacked elsewhere since then.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

My experience with two Aerodyne NexGen's has been awesome. A lot of features for the price and Aerodyne has been helpful answering my questions during the ordering process. Just another manufacturer to possibly consider. Both were custom fit to me and are super comfortable. Make sure you have someone measure you who is good at it and understands the dynamics of the rig you are ordering.

It looks like a Wings.... It Packs Like a Wings. It must be a wings Vortex.

Nah, it looks like a cross between a javelin and a vector.

Both wings and vortex went down this road but with vortex doing a much, much better job.

Wings are not put together well and are aesthetically inferior. The reserve top flap is a poor design.

And OP, don't even talk to me about infinity, those are rubbish.

They refuse to sort out the crapola secondary riser covers (an easy fix with stiffer material and a tweak in the template), and basically the things look like shit from day one. A vortex will look good until it is faded and ready to retire.

My preferences out of all rigs are

#1 Vector
#2 Javelin
#3 Vortex

All have skyhook available and all are really well made.

If you throw waiting time and price into the equation, vortex will have to win the battle hands down. Don't get vortex too tight though... they have the least 'extra room' out of my top 3 but that is a good thing if you size them right...

A tight rig is a safe rig, as long as it does not fit into the 'too tight' category.

I beg your pardon but it’s a vectorish javelin most definitely, a good combination of both though.

Have seen/had my hands on quite a few of them within last couple of years. And with the price tag attached it’s the best bet on the market for sure. Quality/desingnwise the rig showed significant improvements within last few years. And I think the manufacturer pursuing the right pricing policy to keep the business afloat offering to the market very good quality products at very competitive pricing (not just containers) – I wish you keep it that way guys. Get them tight right and you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I knew asking a question like this would get a lot of opinions. I know every container is safe, and how it really comes down to personal preferences. My problem was that I haven't jumped enough to know what ALL of my preferences are to make a better informed decision, which is why i figured asking what was liked the least would help shed some light on...

And true to form, I still have no idea between the infinity and Vortex...

I've only seen a few Vortex's around, but a lot of Infinities. I've jumped Infinities as rentals and as student rigs. I've not jumped a Vortex I don't think. The two places I've jumped at most use them as student rigs. I like them for coaching jumps because I can check the AAD on the flight line/in the plane, but that's a different issue.

My only complaint, and why I never got an Infinity, was that it didn't have a MARD.

I've got an Icon NextGen and a second one on order. I'm quite happy with them. Riggers tend to love their reserve pack trays.

Either way you go, a harness that fits (either custom or just lucked out and got a used rig that fits you perfectly) is really, really awesome. I won't go back to ill-fitting rigs.

There's lots of really great rigs out there, and it's tough to go wrong. The only one I'd stay away from is Racer/Jumpshack (for a variety of reasons).