dorbie

GoPro snag mitigation

This is the first pass, the idea being to 3D print the red part and use it as a shroud around a mount. This matches my specific configuration Others may prefer a different angle to their dangle. I might make this available at cost on shapeways, but probably not, it's not worth the liability.

https://youtu.be/tETptjfS0PE

Access might be awkward with a permanent attachment so I was thinking a couple of recessed attach points for elastic bands may suffice, but a firm slap could move it and temporarily open a recess. The bands would also exert a steady force on the mount so a permanent bond at least on the mount would be preferable.

Anyway, it's better than a bare mount IMHO.

The hole is for screwdriver access, other ports could be added for finger access, but I'd rather keep it clean.
I could also add enough space to remove the sled but this started with the idea of attaching by hooking under the camera, I think I will ultimately go that route so it would be detatchable rather than permanent.

format

Bravo
but
in order to jumpers realize how good/necessary IS your design -
you need some five snag_induced fatalities.. in a row... per year.
Unfortunately

Well the price of "free - 3D print it yourself" might work.

DHemer

I Have been looking to make something similar myself

How are you planning on securing the part to the helmet surface?

I have 2 ideas in mind:

1. Have recessed notches that you can loop rubber bands to under the gopro case that will hold it against the helmet. This would pull down against the goro (the reaction force on the gopro would be to pull up away from the adhesive tab. A couple of rubber stow bands should suffice. Would an M3 pad hold tight enough? Mine is JBWeld so it is not a problem for me.

2. 4 lugs to screw it onto the helmet at each corner and add the sled required to mount it. The idea would be a flat head and a washer on the inside of the helmet and a hex retainer in the hole to catch the nut with a rubber washer sandwiched at each corner to assist with the mating and stresses. This might need a door at the back and a bigger panel I think but this is doable.

There are other ideas but it gets complex, and I do not know what others would prefer, I can only spitball what works for me at this point.

Another factor is the tilt, this thing tilts to match my pref but folks would want to vary the angle on their setup making this less useful to a broader audience.

The other consideration here is that the curvature of the base will not work for every helmet. Right now it is a guess but if I curve it for my KISS that might not work for anyone else. In fact it may not work for anyone who mounts it anywhere else on their KISS helmet. So this is making me consider 4 feet that would be slightly angled. It would still curve but only each corner would mate well with a helmet using a rubber/neoprene shoe or washer and leave an arc underneath giving less opportunity for a line to get under a corner regardless of helmet geometry, but it would not be conformal.... Something like a neoprene gasket would work for me, maybe not any other helmet though.

I think I could combine both the feet, the screw lugs and the elastic band loops and a door (optionally) to give all options to everyone although the sled would not be integral. Everyone has a sled already anyway.

Too many options really, none showing in this design as yet.

I'd like to use my existing mount for other reasons (e.g. helmet bag) and just slide this in and lever it down with some kind of cam. That is a much fancier design, also my JBWeld is slightly lower profile than a 3M pad making this less useful without an adjustment.

A working mechanical design for that cam lever would tax the software I am using and my skill with it. There's also something to be said for avoiding that complexity.... but I have a helmet bag to fit this in damn it.

That looks pretty similar to the one square one sells http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p522.asp#GoProMounts

One way that could be a good way to mount it is to have the gopro style male piece printed into the actual frame of the snag shield. I want to get my hands on a G3 roller mount and 3D scan it into SolidWorks. Then modify the design so that is clips in and out of a standard gopro male mount. You could give that a try for your design. I think if the G3 roller mount (or any snag shield) was easier to attach and detach more people would have them. As for the 3M adhesive it is pretty strong. You can rip them off by grabbing the gopro and pulling to the side but it takes a little bit of strength. I'm sure the average jumper could do it.

Not really, the Square one has the integrated mount with no quick release.
I had considered adding that swivel (may have discussed adding it in my comments).

This thing will go around an existing M3 mount with one mounting option under consideration being rubber bands. Not saying it's better of course, just different.

JWest

I want to get my hands on a G3 roller mount and 3D scan it into SolidWorks. Then modify the design...

That is theft.

JWest

....so that is clips in and out of a standard gopro male mount. You could give that a try for your design.

I proposed a case on a standard sled above but if you give it some thought as they undoubtedly have you will realize that a standard mount is linear and a helmet spherical. This makes a tight fit on two axes impossible without an additional mechanism like the cam I mentioned in my comments.

It's not perfect but I taped up the original mount with gaffer's tape and I think the setup is much better now. For 25 cents of tape it's pretty good value.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

DSE

Since you're still mocking it up, why not put a couple of flanges at the base that would allow for either nylon screws through the helmet, or for VHB tape to attach?

Thanks, if you see the latest version I added some flanges on the inside for screws but not enough surface area for adhesion as you say.
I did try to model a broader base with a larger diameter circular foot to increase the radius but the boolean geometry operations failed at the time. I now know it was a surface direction problem that I have fixed.

Any additional suggestions would be welcome.

What flanges did you have in mind, You're talking about strip tape right? So linear edge flanges on the inside with a helmet conforming spherical curvature right?

A concern is helmet radius fit...

Alternatively I could add circular feet.

dorbie

What flanges did you have in mind, You're talking about strip tape right? So linear edge flanges on the inside with a helmet conforming spherical curvature right?

Exactly this. I don't think the flanges need be large, and they can conform to the curvature as well.
The same flange one might use for a nylon screw would be useful for the person who prefers VHB, no?

DSE

***What flanges did you have in mind, You're talking about strip tape right? So linear edge flanges on the inside with a helmet conforming spherical curvature right?

Exactly this. I don't think the flanges need be large, and they can conform to the curvature as well.
The same flange one might use for a nylon screw would be useful for the person who prefers VHB, no?

Yes, any flange geometry could house holes for screws.

dorbie

*** I want to get my hands on a G3 roller mount and 3D scan it into SolidWorks. Then modify the design...

That is theft.

JWest

....so that is clips in and out of a standard gopro male mount. You could give that a try for your design.

I proposed a case on a standard sled above but if you give it some thought as they undoubtedly have you will realize that a standard mount is linear and a helmet spherical. This makes a tight fit on two axes impossible without an additional mechanism like the cam I mentioned in my comments.

I would only use their design to get the curvature to match. The mount being liner wouldn't be an issue as long as you design the snag shield to clip in tangentially to the curvature of the helmet.

We do have the same thinking that a snag mount with a quick release is a more favorable design. What software are you using? It kinda looks like google sketch but I haven't used that since I learned Solidworks. All and all your designs look good.

dorbie

***Since you're still mocking it up, why not put a couple of flanges at the base that would allow for either nylon screws through the helmet, or for VHB tape to attach?

Thanks, if you see the latest version I added some flanges on the inside for screws but not enough surface area for adhesion as you say.
I did try to model a broader base with a larger diameter circular foot to increase the radius but the boolean geometry operations failed at the time. I now know it was a surface direction problem that I have fixed.

This one seems pretty good - and not too expensive.

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/rawa-vision-mold15/yYEjKU4k?uuid=NuwSU6e0JSyWlyi5lxg7Wf

JWest

What software are you using?

I am using the freely available Blender, I imported the vanilla gopro bracket shown in black in the first video from an online free repository of STL files for 3D printing and used that as a guide.

lyosha

******Since you're still mocking it up, why not put a couple of flanges at the base that would allow for either nylon screws through the helmet, or for VHB tape to attach?

This one seems pretty good - and not too expensive.

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/rawa-vision-mold15/yYEjKU4k?uuid=NuwSU6e0JSyWlyi5lxg7Wf

Hmmm... I might be wasting my time :-)

That's an improvement on the original mount. Perhaps I should just tear off my existing mount, I'm starting to regret my use of JBWeld :-)

Let's see where this journey takes me. I have some flanges to add...

I have a bonehead Rev2 helmet with their aluminium mount.
I think I am going to have to just tape the anti snag housing on because I am hesitant to be drilling more holes into the helmet

In my case it is performing the same function as gaffer tape would but while still allowing me to adjust the angle

ill post the files when I eventually design the damn thing

See DSE's comment. A layer of double sided 3M adhesive between the helmet and the mount could do the trick, provided there's enough surface area under the mount. There's no point in having external tape when you can tape between the mount and the helmet.