Quagmirian

Pegasus and X210

I've recently been given a Pegasus and an X210 main by Andre Whilton (they are too 'modern' for his collection).

The X210 looks to be in great condition. Its serial number in 555 and DOM is Deb 1984. Anybody know what the fabric is? How do they fly? Where can I find a manual?

The Pegasus looks a bit ragged out and I don't think I'll be able to convince and old fart to jump it. It has worn grey lines, grass stains and a ripstop patch. Anybody know where I can find the data panel, or similarly a manual?

The X210 was a hot parachute during its time. Landings varied by skill and weight. The production date is around the time most manufacturers were completing the transition to F-111 fabric.

The Pegasus was a direct (and better) competitor to the Cruise-Lite. The Fury 220 was essentially a Pegasus with flared attachment points. When the Fury 220 came out in F-111 it set the new standard for 7 cells. It's widely considered the best 7 cell ever made.

I'm pretty sure the Pegasus is of the older 1:1 (or lighter) varieties that were pre-F-111. It is the direct ancestor of the Fury-220 which was F-111. (BTW I bought Fury #251 around late 1984 and jumped it until 1999!).

Compare the two fabrics side x side. If they're different, the lighter one will be the F-111.

Any other old-timers know if either of these were ever produced in F-111?

I don't know the exact details on the fabric. It's my understanding, and this is based on hearsay, that it was not as heavily calendered as f111. This gave it a higher tear strength because the fibers could move more relative to each other. In theory it makes for a relatively tough canopy. I've heard that the early Strong tandem reserves were made from such a fabric for exactly this reason. And I can tell you that I've base jumped the shit out of the Pegasus canopies that I've owned. Also you may find other differences if you compare it to a furry. Better tapes and construction. There were also changes to the furry over time in the line attachment points. The tapes on the flares now go up the ribs. People were starting to figure out more about panel shape in this time frame. For example that was some of the changes that Hazlet made when he redesigned the Raven into the Super Raven for George.

Be advised that the above is just hear say that I have picked up over time. It's what I've been told but I can't confirm it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Quagmirian

The Pegasus looks a bit ragged out and I don't think I'll be able to convince and old fart to jump it. It has worn grey lines, grass stains and a ripstop patch. Anybody know where I can find the data panel, or similarly a manual?

I don't believe I ever saw a manual for the Pegasus, or from Django at all for a main.

Here is a service notice I found for the Pegasus.

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/cms/files/file/1202-si1pdf/

And here is a manual for the Firefly reserve made by Django.

http://www.parachutemanuals.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=40&func=startdown&id=409
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I had a X210 with kevlar lines, as far I remember the glide ratio was a little bit deep, but the flair was not quite good.
at the time I bought it (1982) it was the smallest pack volume on the market, was the reason why I took it. Fabrics was F111; I do not think you will learn much with a manual , good luck...

GQ Security (San Leandro, California) introduced the X-210 main during the early 1980s, shortly before they closed the factory in 1984.
The X-210 never sold in huge numbers as a main.
I can count on one hand the number of X-210 Reserves I have repacked. They had Type 4 diapers (all lines stowed on the diaper, parallel with a rib seam).
Those Kevlar lines will not last 200 jumps.

Sounds like your Pegasus will make a great wall decoration. We dug a similar Pegasus canopy out of the attic last week and plan to hang it on the hangar wall.
Django's Pegasus was the "hot" canopy when I visited Z-Hills in 1980. It was one of the first 7-cells made of F-111 fabric with I-beam seams. Pegasus set the pattern for 7-cells for the rest of the 1980s. Even the modern(?) Triathlon is just a Pegasus updated with newer materials (ZP fabric and Spectra suspension lines). Pegasus was the first generation of BASE canopies. Pegasus was the second generation of Canopy Formation Canopies. Most third generation reserves (X-210R, Raven, Swift Plus, etc.) look like close copies of Pegasus.
Para-Flite followed with the Cruislite a year or two later. I bought my Cruislite in 1984.

Para-Flite sued Django for patent infringement (line attachments).
Eventually, Para-Flite sued Django out of business. A few months later, Glide Path re-opened production with the Fury, which was just a Pegasus with mini-flare line attachments.

Hi Rob,

Para-Flite sued Django for patent infringement (line attachments). Eventually, Para-Flite sued Django out of business.

They were in settlement negotiations prior to going into court. They were only $5.00 apart at that time and neither party would budge.

Jerry Baumchen

Back in the early 80ies I had an X210 and a good friend of mine had a Pegasus. These pictures were taken in 1983 when we went "paragliding" with those canopies in the French Alps (Mieussy). Don´t think there was a name for that back then... :) The canopy on the left picture is the Pegasus, the other one is the X210.
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

I have an 8-cell Pegasus that I picked up a few years ago in Florida. I was told that it was a prototype and only a few were made. Compared to my regular Pegasus it flew fine the few times I jumped it (including one off the NRGB). The story I got was that it performed well enough that Django just went ahead and added another cell to create the LR-288 (later Manta). Also, since a lot of people were using their one multipurpose canopies for CRW the center lines of the 8-cell would be awkward for docking. If anyone's interested I'll drag it out and look up the date and numbers on the data panel.

Tom McCann

demonstalker1

I just aquired a Pegasus 223 that is in great condition and airworthy can you tell me anything about jumping it? I am about 235 out the door.. how does it land?

I loved my new Pegasus (in a Northern Lite w/Phantom 24 reserve) back in the early 80's. It out flew anything around. We've been CRW jumping a bunch of older Furry's, Maverick's, and other F-111's. I would love to pick up a Pegasus in good condition.

When I was jumping one, I weighed about 175 out the door. I think you might find your a bit big for a Pegasus?? When the Manta's came out, the bigger jumpers were much happier jumping them. That being said, I'd jump the Peg if it's airworthy. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

demonstalker1

I just aquired a Pegasus 223 that is in great condition and airworthy can you tell me anything about jumping it? I am about 235 out the door.. how does it land?

Sorry dude, but you are too heavy to jump any 220 square foot canopy made of F-111 fabric.
I tried a few jumps on a 176 square foot Firelite, back when I only weighed 180 pounds. Even though all my landings were stand-ups in the bowl, my feet still stung. It was obvious that if I made many more jumps on that Firelite, that I would break a leg bone.

Most people only load F-111 canopies at 0.7 or 0.8 pounds per square foot.