BrianM

Large triangle sewn on tail of Chute Shop canopy - why?

I did some container repairs and an I&R for a local jumper yesterday, and he asked me about something on his main that stumped me.

There is a large black triangle of ZP sewn on the bottom skin of the tail. I've attached a photo.

The triangle is centered spanwise on the canopy. The seam running down the middle of the triangle is the unloaded rib of the centre cell. I think it is the original stitching from the factory. It's one continuous seam all the way to the nose, so if someone opened that seam up and resewed it, they did the entire seam, nose to tail (there is no overlap anywhere on the seam). It also looks identical to the factory stitching on the rest of the canopy. This makes me think the triangle was put there when the canopy was manufactured.

I looked at the inside of the cell and there is no damage at all, so this does not appear to be a patch. Also, the edges of the triangle aren't even folded under - it was literally cut out, stuck flat on the bottom skin, and sewn on (which is why it is fraying).

This is a Chute Shop canopy. The info on the label is not legible but the owner says it is a ZP-185.

Does anyone have an idea what this is for?
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

likestojump

Same reason Cobalts have double diamonds on the bottom skin.
MARKETING

Ok, so you can confirm that this is on other Chute Shop/Parachute Systems canopies too? This is not a popular make or model here, I'm not sure I've ever seen one before in person.

I gotta say I'm not impressed that the factory (or anyone else for that matter) would leave raw scissor cut edges sticking out like that. It's frayed pretty badly (I snipped off a bunch of frayed threads before I took that photo), to the point that a lot of the stitching is missing.

BrianM

***Same reason Cobalts have double diamonds on the bottom skin.
MARKETING

Ok, so you can confirm that this is on other Chute Shop/Parachute Systems canopies too? This is not a popular make or model here, I'm not sure I've ever seen one before in person.

I gotta say I'm not impressed that the factory (or anyone else for that matter) would leave raw scissor cut edges sticking out like that. It's frayed pretty badly (I snipped off a bunch of frayed threads before I took that photo), to the point that a lot of the stitching is missing.

I remember chute shop canopies having the triangle from long back.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Great, thanks everyone for the info. I wondered if that was the case, and googled for ZP.exe photos but couldn't find any that showed the bottom skin. It's nice to know for sure.

Yes it was for marketing purposes before ChuteShop became Parachute Systems so that the canopy could be identified once open - the old ZPs had an equal sided triangle , the Bladerunner had a long narrow triangle and the early Hurricanes had 2 small triangles. When ChuteShop became Parachute Systems the shapes were done away with
---------------------------------
www.skydiverustenburg.co.za
www.skydiveqatar.com