medic0079

where to buy decent cheap risers

medic0079

anybody know where to buy a decent set of cheap risers other than the standard skydive shops? I don't want to spring 150 plus shipping plus tax. and am sure there might be a rigger that makes them for cheaper than the big box skydiving stores.

Be careful considering risers not built by a manufacturer. The tolerances in the 3-ring system (ring angles, proper loading, etc.) are quite tight in avoiding hard or impossible cutaway forces and while I'm sure there are aftermarket shops that do a fine job, I tend to put my faith in the same folks who designed and built the original. Additionally, risers made by an aftermarket operation may look identical to OEM, but there can be small, unnoticeable differences that might affect strength, especially over the long haul which a budget buyer is most likely put them through. Given the cost of a reserve I&R, a set of budget risers could cost more than new in the end.

I think you're better off just buying a set of OEM used risers. Start by contacting the manufacturer of the rig and ask if they have an airworthy used set they will sell you. You would be surprised how many good components manufacturers have that they can provide.

Beyond that, visit any rigging loft. You will find that there are loads of perfectly airworthy components lying around for sale.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

JerryBaumchen

Hi Chuck,

Be careful considering risers not built by a manufacturer.

Risers are one of the most contracted-out parts of a modern rig. In first place is the main pilot chute.

Jerry Baumchen

The contractors you refer to produce risers to the manufacturers specifications and fall under those manufacturer's QC scrutiny.

There are also independent manufacturers that have no connection to any manufacturer that produce risers that do not necessarily meet any particular manufacturer's specs.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

***Hi Chuck,

Risers are one of the most contracted-out parts of a modern rig. In first place is the main pilot chute.

Jerry Baumchen

The contractors you refer to produce risers to the manufacturers specifications and fall under those manufacturer's QC scrutiny.

And yet, the risers on my brand new V3 had the Louie loops sewn on backwards, so even the manufacturer makes mistakes. :$

mxk

******Hi Chuck,

Jerry Baumchen

And yet, the risers on my brand new V3 had the Louie loops sewn on backwards, so even the manufacturer makes mistakes. :$

I wasn't really talking about mistakes. I'm thinking more about people who don't fully understand - or even consider - how tight the tolerances are in things like the design of the 3-rings, grommet placement, etc.

Let's face it, there are more than a few people out there doing things their own way without sufficient R&D.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

personally I think the snap risers from jumpshack are the best. never had a toggle fire. Here are what they charge. Straight from Nancy...

Risers (Type 17 or Type 8, Snap) $120
Snap Toggles $25

+1. Jumpshack risers are simple and the best. Find a dealer - they should be able to get you a better price.
=========Shaun ==========

And yet, the risers on my brand new V3 had the Louie loops sewn on backwards, so even the manufacturer makes mistakes

Those Louie Loops drive me crazy. Way too much bulk, will pop out of even the most 'freefly friendly' rigs.
=========Shaun ==========

strife

UPT just posed a swag of orange 23" risers on sale from a cancelled order for $100

https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/r180/11537588_10153462147251520_1231776275713471138_o.jpg

FIFY ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

It's just a link to a picture. I can't find info on the website. It may be just from a notice sent to dealers. Only way to know for sure is to call UPT and ask is you can buy some.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.