wildernessmedic

What do you think about this for my first rig?

Met someone today at a fishing event who used to jump and things he's done with it and wanted to know if I was interested in buying his gear.

He said it's a wings container with a saber 2 190 Main and a 170 reserve. Is double checking to make sure the main was 190 and the 170. He said he paid over six grand for it new and now and it's probably worth less than half so it sounds like I might be able to get it for 2500 maybe three or even less I don't know.

He said he put about 40 or 50 jumps on a total it's in great condition, but would need to repack.

I know I have very little jumps and the lowest I've jumped is at 210 which I still not comfortable on. My instructor said once I get my a license to start looking at a 190 and then I can downsize one or two sizes and keep the same container when I'm ready.

Provided it is a 190, and everything checks out is this a good deal I should jump on? Sounds like just what I'm looking for even the color I wanted. He said I'm more than welcome to borrow it and jump it to see how I like it before I buy it.

Sidenote I don't know how but I forgot that I had already put away $3000 for my first rig and just found it so I have that to work with.

If you think you'll be reedy for a 190 soon, that 170 reserve is going to look very, very small if you need it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When was it made?

What's the Date of Manufacture? (DOM). It should be on the data panels of the H/C, main and reserve, and should be on the data card for the H/C & reserve.

Does it have an AAD?

$6k for a Wings is a bit spendy. I paid that for an Infinity, PDR CYPRES2 (all new) and a used Sabre2

I"m going to agree with looking into an Optimum reserve. If you aren't completely comfortable under a 210, then jumping down to a 190 is going to be "iffy" and ending up freaked out from a mal, low and possibly off the DZ under a canopy you've never flown that is a size smaller than you've ever jumped before is probably not the best idea.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Not sure waiting for him to finish to ask more details. But I'm guessing at least a few years because he said he hasn't used it in a while.

I don't know if you read my post wrong or if I'm reading is wrong but he said he paid 6000 for it new and I believe he wants less than three now with only 50 or less jumps on it

I'm not trying to rush into downsizing. If it's a good deal on it I don't mind buying it and continuing to rent gear until I'm comfortable on a 190 rental then switch over.

wildernessmedic

Not sure waiting for him to finish to ask more details. But I'm guessing at least a few years because he said he hasn't used it in a while.

I don't know if you read my post wrong or if I'm reading is wrong but he said he paid 6000 for it new and I believe he wants less than three now with only 50 or less jumps on it

I'm not trying to rush into downsizing. If it's a good deal on it I don't mind buying it and continuing to rent gear until I'm comfortable on a 190 rental then switch over.

Depending on the size of the container you might be able to sell the canopies and get properly sized ones. Did he mention if it came with an AAD? If you included your exit weight it would help people advise you on canopy size.

I have no comment on whether it is a good first rig for you. Talk to instructors who know you.

Wings h/c with 50 jumps, at least 1000
Sabre 2 190 with 50 jumps at least 1600
170 reserve, that is probably a PDR176
or a Smart 175 at least 700
If it has an AAD it may also be worth up to
several hundred dollars, or it may be timed out and be worth nothing. Do the math. All prices are my opinion only, and subject to condition. The container may be worth more. Hard to say without knowing what options are on it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Thank you I was more curious about the price then whether it's right for me. I know you guys can't make that call. I also know that I'm not very comfortable on the 210 so I'm not ready for 190. But if it's a good deal on it fits what I want and I can use it for several hundred jumps in many years that I don't mind buying it now and growing into it.

But if it's a mediocre deal or a bad one that I can pass and wait for something else.

I watched a load come in at a bigger DZ yesterday. They all came in so freaking fast and I think only one out of maybe seven or eight stood up the landing. The rest slid some of them look like they hit pretty violently throwing up dust.... I have no desire for that I have bad knees I don't understand what that was about and I'd rather avoid that..

wildernessmedic

I watched a load come in at a bigger DZ yesterday. They all came in so freaking fast and I think only one out of maybe seven or eight stood up the landing. The rest slid some of them look like they hit pretty violently throwing up dust.... I have no desire for that I have bad knees I don't understand what that was about and I'd rather avoid that..

They are doing it wrong :)

The biggest thing with this is whether then harness fits you. Five people the same height might well need five different harness sizes. Making a harnes a little smaller is no big deal, but enlarging a harness in almost cost prohibitive. Try it on, make a few jumps with it to be sure if it fits.
A Sabre 190 is an easy canopy to land, easier than most student canopies, just a little different technique. The price, assuming good gear and at least half life on the AAD is ok.
The guys you watched sliding in don't know how to land their canopies.
If the main lift web is the right size for you, sounds like a good deal.
The reserve might be a little on the small size, but not crazy small, and can be resold to buy something a little bigger if you need it.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

There are now a few competitors to the optimum for those wanting a low pack volume reserve.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Deal never went anywhere. Guy kind of pissed me off, just started ignoring me messages without having the courtesy to just say sorry I changed my mind or whatever his reason was.

Jumped a 190 today after being out for a bit over a month. Loved it. Felt fine. Didn't expect to go from 260 to 190 just like that but it's better than jumping that giant thing. Looking to get a 190 now for sure.