Hollywood5581

Go Pro Mount for Kiss Helmet

I used the Cookie Roller Mount on mine. The curve is slightly different but I was able to mount it with little effort. The Cookie Roller Mount is the best snag resistant mount on the market in my opinion...I know others have their own opinion but I am pretty confident wearing it and feel it is a good mount for my uses. Good luck and blue skies!
Chad B Hall
Woo hoo!
My goal is to make every jump a fun and safe one. Blue skies!
Some of my videos...

DeeBeeGee

Grellfab are working on it
http://grellfab.com/

That's good news. I contacted them a while ago and they said they weren't going to. If it happens, I'll buy it!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

So maybe I didn't ask it in the form of a question in my comment above. How do you folk suggest dealing with the lack of cutaway for the helmet.

I think the anti-snag mounts go a long way to making it much safer, but I still will only jump cameras on helmets with a cutaway system.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

How do you folk suggest dealing with the lack of cutaway for the helmet.

Don't jump helmets without cutaway systems (or a grellfab mount).

If that's not an option and you absolutely must, there's pictures of people using these:

https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/bonehead-cutaway-chincup-kit
https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/chin-cup-quick-release-kit

and of course there's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuqJV3eRH0g

Not sure how successful they would be.

I think of it as if you eliminate the snag hazard you won't need to cutaway. I have a full on camera helmet setup complete with a cutaway system. Having said that I see the Cookie Roller Mount as a super snag resistant solution. I am much more worried about collisions, canopy collisions, etc. than I am about the mount. I'm sure a bridal or line could possibly half hitch around it but I see that as a very remote possibility. If you are super worried about it I suggest a Cookie Fuel or equal with a roller mount and cutaway chincup. That would be the ultimate camera safe rig in my opinion. Good luck!
Chad B Hall
Woo hoo!
Some of my videos...

lyosha

***How do you folk suggest dealing with the lack of cutaway for the helmet.

Don't jump helmets without cutaway systems (or a grellfab mount).

If that's not an option and you absolutely must, there's pictures of people using these:

https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/bonehead-cutaway-chincup-kit
https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/chin-cup-quick-release-kit

and of course there's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuqJV3eRH0g

Not sure how successful they would be.

Those wil not work with a KISS helmet. Neither will the Germain suggested chinstrap release.
Chad B Hall
Woo hoo!
Some of my videos...

None of those options are relevant to the closing system on the KISS.

The key is that these mounts reduce the snag hazard, they don't eliminate it. You can still hitch a line or a bridle using these mounts, but it is much more likely to release a line that drags across on opening that the stock mounts.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

I think the anti-snag mounts go a long way to making it much safer, but I still will only jump cameras on helmets with a cutaway system.

I agree that no cutaway means no jump, but I am satisfied if the mount can be cut away.

The Grellfab mounts can be cut away, and are additionally mounted on the chin, hopefully further out of the line of fire (although shit does indeed happen and a line could really end up anywhere).

Is there video somewhere of the Grellfab cutaway in action? Or can someone post photos of it disassembled? Importantly, it shouldn't leave anything snaggable behind on the front of the helmet.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I've cut mine away ~50 times (it doesn't fit in my helmet case attached to the helmet so I've had to do it like once a day lol) and it comes off clean. The only thing left is a pair of rubber bands in the mouth ventilation area.

One other thing of note - people are afraid that a line grabbing their mount will pull their head in some random direction. Grellfab mount is held on by two rubber bands. Anything pulls on it, the rubber bands will dampen the force to substantially less. I've been punched in the face in freefall and the mount got rotated 180 degrees and it stayed on and I didn't know it even moved until I landed and noticed.

Nice.

As others have pointed out, the Kiss is VERY securely attached to your head (and the latches are fiddly, with gloves on). Aftermarket helmet cutaways are not going to work for it.

Grellfab mount cutaway sounds really promising though.
--

Joellercoaster

Nice.

As others have pointed out, the Kiss is VERY securely attached to your head (and the latches are fiddly, with gloves on). Aftermarket helmet cutaways are not going to work for it.

Grellfab mount cutaway sounds really promising though.

My helmet is a G3, but looking at the mouth ventillation of the KISS helmet I think it's not as condusive to Grellfab-style mounts because the vents face down instead of out like in a G3 and phantom (and it's the vents that provide stabilization for the mount).

It will be interesting to see if the guys at grellfab would be able to come up with something as good as their product for the G3 helmet.

Be careful if you use a chin mounted go pro setup. I've been using a custom one for years and my visor got all fogged up on exit the first time jumping on a cold day due to the chin venting being partially blocked by my mount. Luckily I was tracking and left the camera step last. Had to open the visor in freefall to see anything and watch everyone track away. I added extra foam padding on the inside liner around my mouth area to deflect breath down away from the visor. Helmet is a bonehead mamba. The mount is a standard curved gopro plate with a 1 1/2" aluminum extension bar. That being said in general it is a safer area to mount to the go pro and you can even see the rear tiny recording lights flashing. No more asking is my gopro on. Cutaway is a must on any setup.