drenkel

Lifespan on Digital Altimeters?

I got an opportunity to pick up an original Visio for a really good price. It's a little beat up, but he says all the functions work and it's accurate.

What's the lifespan on these units? Should I expect it to crap out on me anytime soon?

My Pro Dytter that i bought used has been working for years.
My Neputne has died 2 times and was exchanged by alti-2, now the display stops working on the last couple lines. The audible function also sometimes fails on the swoop alarms.
My mechanical FT-50 now has 15 years, 1300+ jjumps and lots of draging around and dropping on the floor but works fine. This is the only part of my skydiving gear that still works like on the first day.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

What features?

Seriously people expect too much from these things. My OG Viso has a back light, and gives me my altitude. I have no desire to look at the log book in the thing, or see my "max freefall speed" that lost interest at around 30 jumps.

If you can get a good price on an older viso it will do everything flawlessly that you should reasonably expect from a digital altimeter.

Edit: oh I get it, a bad joke. You got me... but it still wasn't funny. :ph34r::D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Hahah...just a small peeve of mine, so I thought I'd have a bit of fun. Everyone calls them Visio's...not Viso.

That being said, I had a Altimaster Galaxy...lent it to a newer jumper years ago, never saw it again, even after they quit jumping.

Since then I bought a Neptune II and a VISO recently. I love both of them, and my Neptune lasted 8 years without issue. Last year, I was on a jump and it said "Error 43: Return for Service". Alti-2 repaired it for free and shipped it back to me. Going strong again.... The VISO...well, it's new so I don't expect I'll have much issue anytime soon.

If only I could find an audible that held up as well as the wrist mounted alti's. L&B replaced my Optima once, and the new one slowly started cracking again. Eventually the case split open and I attempted to superglue it. I failed and now it only works sometimes.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I still use a 14 year old Digitude altimeter. Only LCD that doesn't get washed out by polarized lenses that I've found. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

phoenixlpr

***Its an L&B product...its forever. If it breaks, they replace.

That is how it should work if you are sold a $5 gadget at $200-$300.

Rather harsh, wouldn't you say? If you can manufacture a comparable device for $5, you're going to make a killing selling them for $100. And.... go!
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

phoenixlpr

***Its an L&B product...its forever. If it breaks, they replace.

That is how it should work if you are sold a $5 gadget at $200-$300.

You could say that your $700 iphone is merely a $80 piece of hardware too. Unless you're in the industry of producing "gadgets" you don't realize the cost of the intellectual property (design, testing, programming). Even the costs of supporting such a gizmo.

A digital altimeter is the sum of all those things. To consider it a $50 lump of parts is the same as considering your automobile to be a $300 chunk of steel, plastic etc.

-Michael