AWIZRD

Eyewear protection question

I've started the AFP class and for both of my tandem jumps I have run into issues with the basic student eye protection. Each jump had an issue...the first the eyewear rose up on my face (still provided protection but not a good fit), the second (even though cinched tightly) let too much air in causing me to have to hold the top of the goggle to my face. Kind of rough trying to watch the altimeter and keep the goggle sealed.

These things being stated, I was wondering if anyone uses or recommends the Oakley Crossbar

I have spoken with my instructor and it appears that a helmet with visor is an option provided the face-shield is clear.

As get ready to make my Level 1 jump, I want to make sure I don't have any of the above issues...

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Being a big guy, you're going to be falling fast. That means you need extra tight goggles so the high wind speed doesn't rip them off. Heads and faces are all different shapes, which means you're probably going to try on lots of pairs of goggles before you find the perfect fit.

In the mean time, while you're looking, I recommend getting a pair of these because they can be adjusted to stay on anyone:
https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/flexvision-goggles
Choose the Original style, clear

I dont really have a lot of experience with different goggles but I know I bought new ones during AFF. I got a pair of Birdseye goggles off amazon for $10 and have used them on about 10 jumps and they are perfect. Also, they are only $10 which will give you more money for jumps and I figure when I know more of what I want, I dont have a lot invested in the goggles already.

AWIZRD

I've started the AFP class and for both of my tandem jumps I have run into issues with the basic student eye protection.

What kind of goggles were they?

I've always had good results with Kroops goggles.

I have spoken with my instructor and it appears that a helmet with visor is an option provided the face-shield is clear.

That may solve the wind-in-the-eyes problem, but it also presents other issues, like restricted vision and impaired hearing. Search these forums for more discussion on that, and be aware of what you're getting into if you go that route.

Usually even the cheap goggles many DZ's sell are fine --- when new, because their bungee or elastic strap is new and strongly elastic and not stretched out. The beaten up ones sitting around for the tandem schmucks may not be in the best condition.

Although it is also possible that a particular brand doesn't fit your face.

As for helmets with visors -- full face helmets - there are some instructors and jurisdictions don't want that at all for students, as it can add complications. On the other hand, just using goggles and an open face helmet has complications too as you found out.

If the DZ doesn't have a new pair of goggles that fits well, be friendly and ask around the DZ to see if regular jumpers have goggles that fit well and snug up well, to give you an idea of what to order.

Welcome to the sport brother... I live in Mesa and jump at SkydiveAZ... I used the wileyX goggles they issued me for usually sandbox deployment until I could buy and wear a Cookie G3.
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

New jumpers / tandem jumpers if left to themselves never tighten goggles enough or even put them on properly. The put them on like they will be wearing them on the ground and not having 129+ mph trying to tear them off your face. Tighten them up like you absolutely want them to stay on and seat them down so no air gap on the bridge of your nose. Flexvisions work rather well as they simply mould to you face shape.

Visit your local gear store and try on half dozen models of googles.
Once you narrow down the selection, take them for a test-drive in a car. Get your buddy to drive down the highway as you hang your head out the window. Remember that freefall is twice as fast as highway speed limits.

pchapman

Usually even the cheap goggles many DZ's sell are fine --- when new, because their bungee or elastic strap is new and strongly elastic and not stretched out. The beaten up ones sitting around for the tandem schmucks may not be in the best condition.

Although it is also possible that a particular brand doesn't fit your face.

As for helmets with visors -- full face helmets - there are some instructors and jurisdictions don't want that at all for students, as it can add complications. On the other hand, just using goggles and an open face helmet has complications too as you found out.

If the DZ doesn't have a new pair of goggles that fits well, be friendly and ask around the DZ to see if regular jumpers have goggles that fit well and snug up well, to give you an idea of what to order.

Ditto THIS!!!

So spot on. So many times these goggles get stretched out and shouldn't be used. But there they are in a big pile.

Put a number on the number of times these elastic straps can be reliably used.

I put it at about 10 times, seriously, after that they just don't seem to work reliably anymore. And I throw them away after one year, even if they look good to the naked eye.

No wonder since tha 90s' when the first bonehead with the psyco paint job came on the scene, that flip visors rule. That's the cure, full face, for the times you can use a full face that is.

Otherwise, trying to squeak just one more use out of those cheep goggles elastics,... just isn't worth it. If ya gonna send it then SPEND it.

Or find better elastic straps, cause what's out there for years just is crap.
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.