BrianM

source for MDS and foam padding?

I'm looking for a source for relatively small quantities of MDS (the kind used in container flaps), as well as foam (the kind for legstrap padding, etc). I've searched old threads here but could only find threads that are several years old.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I see a couple options on McMaster-Carr's website:

Self-Lubricating MDS-Filled Nylon
Self-Lubricating MDS-Filled Cast Nylon

Which one do I want? I'm guessing the first one (not the cast one)?

Ok, lots of types of foam - what type do I want? The FAA rigging manual mentions Volara foam but that just seems to be a brand name. Polyethylene or cross linked polyethylene closed cell foam look suitable, but I'm not sure of the difference.

The cast MDS is probably too thick for what you want. I've used the "Self-Lubricating MDS-Filled Nylon" for projects, including container repairs. 1/16" is a popular size for flaps with grommets. MDS is tough to sew through, so I use 1/16" HPDE in places where need to sew through the stiffener and also don't need as much strength or durability as MDS.

As far as foam from Foam Factory, I bought this stuff. The 1/8" is good for things like container linings, and 1/4" works for leg pads. If I was copying newer "deluxe" leg pads, I would probably go with 3/8" or 1/2".

Hang on, does McMaster Carr now ship to Canada?

For years they didn't so Canadians hated them, especially when Americans talked about how good they were.

Or at least they didn't without a business account or business address or something. In any case there was some hassle involved and a really quick Google search hasn't clarified for me what the current situation is. Different people report different things.

pchapman

Hang on, does McMaster Carr now ship to Canada?

For years they didn't so Canadians hated them, especially when Americans talked about how good they were.

Or at least they didn't without a business account or business address or something. In any case there was some hassle involved and a really quick Google search hasn't clarified for me what the current situation is. Different people report different things.

Apparently they don't. I emailed them and asked, and got this:

Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from businesses. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We are unable to provide a quotation or accept your orders.

K-mac's website says:

K-mac has a $50.00 minimum order, all orders under $50.00 are subject to a $20.00 small order fee.

and:

All International Orders must ship on a customers UPS, DHL or Fedex Account Number. All International Orders will be charged $40.00 for creation of a Custom's Invoice and Certificate of origin, required by US Customs.

Does anyone know of either a Canadian distributor, or a non-Canadian one who will ship small quantities to a non-business address in Canada?

BrianM

Does anyone know of either a Canadian distributor, or a non-Canadian one who will ship small quantities to a non-business address in Canada?

Found one!

Johnston Plastics

They're in Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, and Winnipeg. Toronto and Montreal didn't bother replying to my email. Edmonton and Winnipeg did, I got a better answer from Winnipeg so I purchased from them.

They only have 1/16" and 1/32" (no .020" or .040" unfortunately), but they were happy to ship small quantities to my home. No online store, and they required me to have an account with a courier of my choice (I went with Purolator), but they we're friendly and easy to work with.

hackish

too bad I saw this so late. There is a place in ottawa. i walked in picked the stuff i wanted and paid for it. done deal.

You didn't see it late, I just posted it yesterday... :P

Did the place in Ottawa have thicknesses other than 1/16" and 1/32"? If so, what was the company?