3mpire

yves rossy's deployment setup

Sorry... don't mean to be a smart-ass... but in 5 years and 400+ jumps, you've never seen a spring loaded pilot chute? :P

You REALLY need to watch your rigger pack your reserve. :)
Used to be common place for main's to be deployed by ripcord and spring loaded PC (just like your reserve). Not as common now, but they have some engineering advantages (i.e. routing the ripcord around the wing and attach points, vs trying to route and then deploy a throw-out while wearing his wing).

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I have seen spring loaded pilot chutes--my student rigs when i got licensed actually were spring loaded pilot chutes with a rip cord, so I'm well aware of what it is lol. (it was static line out of a 182 if not being an AFF turbine baby gives me any more street cred with you :D:D:D)

Maybe the screen shot is a bad example, because in the actual video you will see the PC launch but then it just hesitates. When I first watched it, I thought it was actually a malfunction--but after I watched it again it seemed that it was a planned thing, perhaps a delayed or two-stage release that pitches the wing up to allow for a cleaner main deployment.

here is a link to the video, the interesting part i'm asking about is at around 45 seconds:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/meet-jetman-15030489

EDITED TO ADD:

I found the original video with the deployment on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/kSgrzMQv2Mc?t=270

this clip is longer than the clip on ABC news and it looks like he does have a two stage deployment as it seems like his left hand reaches down after the spring PC is deployed and initiates deployment from the box man position.

you also see what looks like a rip cord after deployment... so some kind of setup where the bridal is secured below the pilot chute by the ripcord until released?

I'm guessing this is some kind of custom set up--kinda cool!

3mpire

I have seen spring loaded pilot chutes--my student rigs when i got licensed actually were spring loaded pilot chutes with a rip cord, so I'm well aware of what it is lol. (it was static line out of a 182 if not being an AFF turbine baby gives me any more street cred with you :D:D:D)

Maybe the screen shot is a bad example, because in the actual video you will see the PC launch but then it just hesitates. When I first watched it, I thought it was actually a malfunction--but after I watched it again it seemed that it was a planned thing, perhaps a delayed or two-stage release that pitches the wing up to allow for a cleaner main deployment.

here is a link to the video, the interesting part i'm asking about is at around 45 seconds:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/meet-jetman-15030489

Ahhh... understood. (damn... can't see the vid at work). He might be using it to ensure stability and/or pitch before releasing... will have to catch the vid at home.

As to your cred... I'm from a C182/206 static line background myself B| At the time, the 'BIG' 9-place super-charged Twin-bo scared me :D... come to think of it, the twin-bo off that short gravel runway with trees right off the end would scare me more now than it did then ;).

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Just a guess on the system from watching the video but it looks like a heavier version of a hesitater loop. My guess from listening to the wind in the video is that the pilot chute comes out and creates drag to slow down his forward speed and then deploys the main. Considering the speed he is going, it makes sense that he would want to slow down a tad before having his chute open.

Looks like it's a sort of pull out system but instead of you pulling out the pin to release pc you pull a ripcord which "pushes" out the pc. You pack a reg non spring loaded on top of a spring. Pull the ripcord it deploys the spring and pushes out the pc. Connection goes as (these are just my thoughts)
Non spring pilot chute, bridle, bridle feeds into spring, spring goes in container (probably duel pin main) pack spring pin it, stow bridle on top of spring as well as pc.

Just a guess on the system from watching the video but it looks like a heavier version of a hesitater loop.

I wasn't familiar with what a hesitater loop was but from a dual hawk tandem manual i found via google, I think that is probably what it is:

[inline loop.png]

If i'm understanding this correctly, the bottom flap of the container has the loop go through the grommet and into/around a bight on the bridal which keeps the dbag/lines "contained" and the left-side rip cord releases the loop,,,?

I'm just guessing, is that how a hesitater loop works?

If you watch the landing it looks like his pilot chute is white but the spring loaded PC is black so I don't know if that means that the spring loaded pc when released by the left-hand ripcord deploys the main's PC as it detaches...? Or somehow it gets cinched down to the dbag and is close to the main rather than trailing behind?

This is kind of a cool puzzle I'm just spitballing how it might work

3mpire

Can someone help me understand what I'm looking at here?

It appears to be some kind of spring-loaded PC drogue release type system...?

it is exactly what you described.
A 2 stage spring loaded non-collapsible drogue chute.
Its goal is to break the horizontal speed prior to opening to help with a more comfortable deployment.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM