ajs339

last repack on expired cypres2 end of life?

Hooknswoop

6 month stretch

What 6 month stretch? Where in the manual or the FAR's does it say anything about a 6-month stretch?

The FAA says that if installed, it must be maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions. If a rig has a 12 year, 3 month old Cypres2 that has met all Airtec's maintenance requirements and the reserve was packed within the last 180-days, it is legal to jump.

If the Cypres2 is older than 12.5 years or the reserve was packed more than 180-days ago, it is not legal to jump.

If I put a Cypres2 that has 30-days left in it's lifespan into a rig, then that rig is legal to jump for the next 30-days because it meets al the requirements of the FAR's. i.e. reserve packed within 180-days and AAD maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Derek V

If I remember correctly, when Airtec put a 12 year life limit on the Cypres, the question came up about repack cycles. People were upset that they might get screwed out of some time on their units, so Airtec added a policy that said if the unit was in date (at that time 12 years 0 months) when the reserve was repacked it would be legal until the reserve timed out. That's what I meant when I referred to a "6 month stretch".

I briefly scanned the Cypres manual last night and didn't read anything about that. Either it's been changed over time or I was just remembering incorrectly about the original policy.

Anyone remember if it was originally a 12 year limit with an extension for packed units?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hellis

Re: Europes one year repack.

Here the repackcard says which day is the last day jumping is legal with the rig.
If that day is because of rig, reserve or AAD expires in repack, age or AAD maintnence/age.

I would like this method as it cures the issue of some components being out of date earlier than the 180/6mo/1yr inspection cycle.

But in the US we have an additional problem... lawyers. If I say that the rig was inspected and packed today I take the position that it is legal and safe today. If we put "expires on" dates, I am sure someone would argue that I, the rigger, had "guaranteed" that it would be safe to use until that date regardless of how it was handled/stored/treated.

Now, an observant person would point out that, by my logic here, a Cypres with 1 day left on its 12.5yr lifespan would be fine to pack in the rig as it is still in date today. This is when I fall back on the notion that jumpers in the US only look at one date. Repack+180(+some random fudge factor that they think they can get away with). So while I will inspect and approve based on condition as observed today, it is a rare rig that I will sign off on with components that go out of date before today+180.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

The FAR doesn't say; "if it is installed and turned on". It says, "If installed"

........ There is no exception to jump with an AAD not maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions if it is turned off.

Derek V

Correct Derek,
When you start slicing the law that precisely, you take the first step down a slippery slope.
Most skydiving fatalities are found in a smouldering crater, at the bottom of a slippery slope. Investigators follow a chain of mistakes to the smouldering crater.

For example: the first fatality at Pitt Meadows involved a Cypres 1 with expired batteries (probably calendar).
The first mistake was some one advising her "just don't turn it on."
The second mistake was jumping borrowed gear with unfamiliar handles.
The third mistake was fumbling for that unfamiliar handle all the way to impact.
She made a chain of mistakes and died. Her first mistake was trying to "fudge" the legality of out-of-date Cypres batteries.

Barracks lawyers are wasting their time trying to slice the law too finely because professional lawyers can slice the law so finely that the law becomes transparent. IOW by the time a professional lawyer finishes slicing the law, you can no longer see the original intent of the statute. For example, dragging out a personal injury lawsuit for 8 years. Maybe, just maybe, 8 years after an accident, the wounded are tired of being reminded. Maybe, just maybe lengthy court proceedings prolong their traumatic stress disorder. Maybe, just maybe, professional lawyers do more harm than good. Maybe, just maybe that is why I refuse to waste time with barracks lawyers.

Simple answer: the last Cypres 1 retires in 2015, so we will see zero Cypres 1s in 2016. ....
and the oldest Cypres 2 also retires in 2015.

chuckakers

However, I made a quick check of the Cypres manual and didn't see anything specific about packing a unit beyond the 12 year mark. It may well be that the legality of packing one past the 12 year mark is not specified by SSK.

Anyone have info on this?

This time I've got something more specific that could help:

In one of the older threads I linked to, I see that Cliff Schmucker, president of SSK the Airtec distributor in North America, stated:

in summary:

1) we have no issue with reserves being packed when the CYPRES (and/or battery in the case of CYPRES-1) will go out of date prior to the next required repack - we DO have an issue with a parachute being jumped if the CYPRES maintenance, CYPRES lifetime, or battery is out of date - and like it or not, in the US 105.43(c) makes it illegal to do so

2) I find no regulation to form the basis that makes it the responsibility of riggers in the U.S. to "enforce" a future airworthiness due date by refusing to pack

3) we suggest that riggers should discuss options with their customers, and properly annotate all airworthiness due dates on the packing data card

Thus while we don't have a specific statement from the FAA, a major AAD manufacturer approves packing reserves where the AAD will time out during the repack cycle.

(Of course, with the rig effectively timing out when the AAD is times out).

The FAA has stated a position on this issue.

Advisory Circular 105-2E section 14.a.4:

(4) A parachute user must ensure that an AAD is maintained in accordance with the AAD manufacturer’s instructions and service requirements. When a rigger packs a reserve parachute, the rigger is only certifying that it meets all safety requirements on the day it is packed; therefore, riggers should note any maintenance or battery replacement due date(s) on the packing data card so that users are able to determine AAD airworthiness and ensure conformance to the regulations. AADs are to be installed in accordance with the harness/container manufacturer’s instructions.

(Emphasis added by me)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!